1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

odd sound from my 1990 motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question odd sound from my 1990 motor

i was driving to work this morning, and while in second gear accelerating the truck starts making a very odd noise, like hitting a pillow on a metal table with a hammer. i shift to 3rd and it doesnt go away, the truck instantly dropped about 5-8 mph also as soon as the sound started. i brought the revs up to see if the sound would increase in speed and decrease with the motor or with the drivetrain since its a non lock up trans. it seemed to follow the motors rpm but it was hard to tell. this whole thing only lasted about 20-50 seconds and then it went away. it was still dark out but the truck didnt appear to have any smoke of any color coming out of the exhaust either. could a injector of gotten stuck causing a cylinder to not fire? or something in the injection pump fail to pressurize a line? the pump has 366 spring, denny's stg II, m&H dynamic timing advance spacer. or could it of been the transmission? trans has a spec right racing converter, constant pressure manual vb, clutches, steels, bands. there are no fuel/oil leaks from anywhere and all the fluids are fresh and full. i would like to be able to catch this problem before it leaves me stranded somewhere or worse destroys my motor and or trans. thank you very much DB.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe needs valve adjustment, I dunno, you would need two people for that and a barring tool and wrenches, a ratchet, and some feeler gauges, they need to be readjusted like every 30,000 to 60,000 miles or so. It helps with constant noise problems and just flat out will make the truck engine perform better. Not sure that's what your problem is but if you have never adjusted your valves, it could be part of a potentially serious problem developing.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Sorry, that info only helps those who don't know any better.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-08-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thank you very much, i know what im doing this weeknd now haha

Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

It may not be the whole problem, but it may be part of the problem and that old of a truck, ITS PROLLY NEVER BEEN DONE ON IT and it should be done, it should help anyways, regardless.

This is by far the best barring tool I have ever in my life seen personally, I highly recommed it. The seller is sort of a jerk and be fore warned if problems arise, but he is the only one selling this bad A$$ tool. LOL

Cummins Engine Rotating Tool dodge diesel pickup truck repair | eBay

Not sure what feeler gauge settings to use for exhaust and the intake valves, they are both different and should be only done when the engine is totally cold.

One is 10 and is 15, If I remember correctly but forget which goes to the intake valve and the exhaust valve, sorry, I'm a little rusty on the subject-forgive me, if my buddy can tell me out of my newly purchased Repair book, I can tell you exactly what settings to use for your year model truck before the book gets to me-I hope.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-08-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thank you again, i ordered the tool from the guy and ill refer to the service manual and set the valves to what it specifies.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

K00L.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Got any aftermarket gauges, boost trans temp, pyro? Did any of theme seem off at all.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
Got any aftermarket gauges, boost trans temp, pyro? Did any of theme seem off at all.
Good question, I got to get me some before I screw up!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Hahaha there good for more then just telling you got a problem.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
Hahaha there good for more then just telling you got a problem.
That's for sure, used to have a boost gauge, pretty good one too, somebody gave me off a 1st Gen they bought and resold it. It had some weird gauge setup in it, homemade. You should have seen it.

Quick Reply: odd sound from my 1990 motor