1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Yet another seat swap thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yet another seat swap thread...

Allright, I have almost quit fixing the "custom" work of the previous owner, "PO", and with some input from you guys, went looking through the boneyard for some new seats. Since I have a regular cab and the occasional need to carry more than one passenger, I had to go for the bench seat set up. The local yard had a 2000 Ford F150 with the plain bench and flip down armrest for $200, and I easily resisted, but, going half an hour down the road got me to the middle of nowhere, where I found another 1999 F150 with the 60/40 and flip down armrest for $100. Sold. Short story made longer, I pulled the carpet and cleaned the, well, I don't know what I cleaned out of it, but there was a lot of smelly, uh, "stuff" in it, and it is now a well-used color of grey instead of grey-brown. On the seats, they fit really well, but you will need to make up three or four spacers (I used all-thread and BIG washers) to get everything level. Took a few hours, but the end result is I have more legroom (I'm a little over six feet), since the seats sit up higher, and they are WAAAYYYY more comfortable. I know a lot of you guys have swapped out to the second Gen seats, but they are tough to find around here. Hope this helps someone, as I know there are a ton of Fords in the yards around here. And I know, I should put up some pics, but I didn't take any, and Mrs. Webdesigner has already gone to bed.
P.S. and on the carpet, don't play around, I used Bleche-White tire and wheel cleaner to get the schmootz out, and I can't see how it hurt the carpet any worse than what was already on it!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet, how does the bench seat out of the Ford work, easy to Mod?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It comes out in two pieces, hence the 60/40 name, but I just centered the drivers' seat to the steering wheel, checked the relationship to the two original holes on that side, marked and drilled. Once I had a "pilot" hole to make sure the seat stayed put, I marked the other two holes for that side. Both parts of the seats have independent sliders, so I monkeyed around with them to figure out the best combination. For example, the passenger side left slider needed to be farther back than the right one. On the driver side, I needed to build up spacers for both mounts, hence the threaded rod. On the passenger, I needed a little on the left rear and about four inches on the right front. Three of the four front mounts will be angled back, but, once again, a little mitre cutting on the allthread couplings and the seats are very stable, and I can move them up and back, and the drivers seat has "lumbar" adjustments ... so when your truck is shaking your fillings loose with our suspensions, you can try to adjust that away. I also have enough room to thread the stock seatbelts through the seat without issue. And I found a sweet donor W150 at the junkyard with the headliner intact and the dash gauges untouched. Going back in the morning for those!