1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Do the intake horn shapes make a difference if it is IC'ed or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Do the intake horn shapes make a difference if it is IC'ed or not?

I recently looked at a dusty old first gen and I looked at the motor, but I did not look to see if there is an intercooler or not. I do remember that the intake horn started on the driver side of the motor and stopped at the snail of the turbo and said Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel on it. I looked at an intercooled first gen online, and it started in the same spot, but bent toward the driverside fender and went down a tube by the driver side fender well. Is that truck I looked at non intercooled?

I believe this is an intercooled one

I think this is not an intercooled one

All help is appreciated! Sorry, but I am new to the first gens.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The second pic is of a non intercooled one. The first is of course of an intercooled one. There is a difference.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes Blade got it right. What do you wanna know about the two?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I was just wandering because I forgot to check if there was one on a truck I was thinkin g of buying, but I do remember that intake horn.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Diesel Wrench

Gotcha non intercooled trucks perform better btw but will get hot temp wise like water and egt's. you can put an ic style rad in the non ic or put in a intercooler n bigger turbo n have at er.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Don't miss all that stuff on a non IC'd one!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Radiators to me really sucked!

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-04-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Do you think cold air intake stuff would lower egt at all? I plan on some a- pillar gauges before I turn up anything to much. I think I would like to add an intercooler down the road though.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
Do you think cold air intake stuff would lower egt at all? I plan on some a- pillar gauges before I turn up anything to much. I think I would like to add an intercooler down the road though.
Yes a bit. With my 93 I can be driving the exact same road in the day time and at night when the temp has dropped like 10* outside I can see about 150* change on the pyro. But for sure get a pyro.

I'd say get a BHAF, 4" exhaust or straight pipe the 3" and modestly tune that pump. Also an hx35 would be a great upgrade on that non ic truck. it's direct swap and if you use the exhaust housing off the non ic turbo you will have lower egt's then using the hx35 exhaust housing.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I am still on the fence on the turbo swap, but I am definately doing the straight pipe, maybe a bigger down pipe. I am thinking a fuel pressure, boost, and egt gauge combination on the a-pillar, and maybe a trans temp and rear differential gauge mounted under the stereo. Does that sound like it would cover what I need?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

There is no sense in having a bottleneck exhaust, it won't do you any good unless you make the whole exhaust at least 4 inches or bigger on down the line, makes no sense to go big the go back to 3 inches. Would be a dumb idea if you ask me.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

If you used a 4 inch downpipe then went into a 5 inch pipe the rest of the way or larger that would at least make sense, then into monster 8 or 10 inch stacks, that would be cool, I like bull haulers myself, they look mean.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-04-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Do the intake horn shapes make a difference if it is IC'ed or not?