1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Is this low mileage 1st gen a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Is this low mileage 1st gen a good deal?

I went to one of my favorite equipment yards today to look for a horse trailer and I ran across a dusty first gen with a winch bed on it. The guys house is right by the field full of farm equipment, trailers, and old trucks, nd I noticed his personal rides were a first gen and a third gen. Th e truck I looked at was a silver single cab cummins with a cloth interior and a 2wd manual. The truck was looking kinda rough when I first laid eyes on it. It has its grill is held up by a thin metal band with one metal piercing screw in the fender and one in the grille. Its winch bed is without a fleck of paint on it and the front passenger side fender has a descent sized dent were it looks like it caught the edge of a f ence post. The truck also a bit of sag on its driver door when you open it. The trucks interior was dusty but would easily clean up. Now for the great part. I looked to see the trucks odometerand it read a staggering 169,XXX miles. I think I could get around 600 for the bed on it if I gave it a good rattle can job. The truck needs alot of cosmetic stuff, but the owner said that it runs and drives and is selling it for 2500 bucks with a good title on it. The front bumper on it is a little bent up, but i plan to add pipe ones anyway. The cummins is the engine I trust, but I have only worked on a 2nd gen 12 valve, so these are a bit new to me. The truck is free of rust doesn't appear to have unven wear on the well worn tires. Is this truck a good deal? I am sure I forgot a thousand things an d I will answer as many as I can.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds like a good deal, I got mine from a GOOD Family friend that had been holding it for me till he was ready to sell and sold it to me for $1200. It had about 400,000 miles on it and the turbo is like brand new, no kidding at all. It was worth about $1500 according to the county tax office it was purchased in. Don't know what else to tell you about them. It was a late 1991 an intercooled one.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Mine did not need a whole crap load of work either, about 5 solid days of work on it and it was totally road worthy to a reputable mechanic friend of mine, close friend.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-01-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Cool story man! Are ya talking about that red regular cab dually? I saw it in yer thread. That is a sweet tuck man! Anyone else got thoughts on this truck?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

169000 miles is nothin for these old 12 valve motors. very easy to work on and maintain. the drivers door sag is most likely from the hinge pin bushings they were bad about wearing out on these trucks. kdp should be adressed other than that they are bullet proof good luck

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low mileage 1st gen

Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
I went to one of my favorite equipment yards today to look for a horse trailer and I ran across a dusty first gen with a winch bed on it. The guys house is right by the field full of farm equipment, trailers, and old trucks, nd I noticed his personal rides were a first gen and a third gen. Th e truck I looked at was a silver single cab cummins with a cloth interior and a 2wd manual. The truck was looking kinda rough when I first laid eyes on it. It has its grill is held up by a thin metal band with one metal piercing screw in the fender and one in the grille. Its winch bed is without a fleck of paint on it and the front passenger side fender has a descent sized dent were it looks like it caught the edge of a f ence post. The truck also a bit of sag on its driver door when you open it. The trucks interior was dusty but would easily clean up. Now for the great part. I looked to see the trucks odometerand it read a staggering 169,XXX miles. I think I could get around 600 for the bed on it if I gave it a good rattle can job. The truck needs alot of cosmetic stuff, but the owner said that it runs and drives and is selling it for 2500 bucks with a good title on it. The front bumper on it is a little bent up, but i plan to add pipe ones anyway. The cummins is the engine I trust, but I have only worked on a 2nd gen 12 valve, so these are a bit new to me. The truck is free of rust doesn't appear to have unven wear on the well worn tires. Is this truck a good deal? I am sure I forgot a thousand things an d I will answer as many as I can.
truck guy u made an excellent buy . i bought my 93 ext cab dually with only 162000 miles on it about six months ago from a friend of the family and it is still like brand no dents or dings and still all factory

Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Cool story man! Are ya talking about that red regular cab dually? I saw it in yer thread. That is a sweet tuck man! Anyone else got thoughts on this truck?
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about, I got a real sweet deal hardly anybody runs into, I got real lucky, IMHO, and THANKS, BTW.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CowboyRoy
truck guy u made an excellent buy . i bought my 93 ext cab dually with only 162000 miles on it about six months ago from a friend of the family and it is still like brand no dents or dings and still all factory
I am sad to say that I have not bought it yet. I want to get some opinions and eventually test drive it. The truck is constantly on my mind and I have an awesome vision for it. It was just someone's work tuck, so the only mod is a sawzall under the cab on its exhaust. I am picturing a straight piped system all the way to the back and coming out behind the passenger side duals with an "8 tip. Big pipe bumper on the front,, black flat bed with a couple of toolboxes built into the side that I saw in the same field full of equipment, dark as midnight tinted windows, pioneer stereo, 2nd or 3rd gen seats, possibly a redoing of the factory silver paint job, a cold air intake tube, a better breathing filter, a little mild tuning to the pump, a descent sized set of all terrains, maybe a 2 inch body lift, maybe a 30-100 gallon aux. fuel tank, a nice junkyard grille, and probably a better set of mudflaps. What I like most about the aforementioned flatbed that is sitting on the ground out there is that it is already powdercoated black, rhe built in brake lights are $15 trailer lights, it has rails built onto the side for a tie down point, it has built in toolboxes, but most of all I like the recessed gooseneck ball. I would also like to leave his property with this truck pulling a horse trader, so I might be able to make a bundle package and get a better deal.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I am sad to say that I have not bought it yet. I want to get some opinions and eventually test drive it. The truck is constantly on my mind and I have an awesome vision for it. It was just someone's work tuck, so the only mod is a sawzall under the cab on its exhaust. I am picturing a straight piped system all the way to the back and coming out behind the passenger side duals with an "8 tip. Big pipe bumper on the front,, black flat bed with a couple of toolboxes built into the side that I saw in the same field full of equipment, dark as midnight tinted windows, pioneer stereo, 2nd or 3rd gen seats, possibly a redoing of the factory silver paint job, a cold air intake tube, a better breathing filter, a little mild tuning to the pump, a descent sized set of all terrains, maybe a 2 inch body lift, maybe a 30-100 gallon aux. fuel tank, a nice junkyard grille, and probably a better set of mudflaps. What I like most about the aforementioned flatbed that is sitting on the ground out there is that it is already powdercoated black, rhe built in brake lights are $15 trailer lights, it has rails built onto the side for a tie down point, it has built in toolboxes, but most of all I like the recessed gooseneck ball. I would also like to leave his property with this truck pulling a horse trader, so I might be able to make a bundle package and get a better deal.
Sounds sweet man!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Does anyone have anything they would add to, take away, or change on that plan? Ya know, if it was your own truck.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

anybody??

Quick Reply: Is this low mileage 1st gen a good deal?