1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Notes to the PO

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Notes to the PO

Allright, so I just finished changing all the fusible links out in the 91.5 to the Maxi-Fuse Distribution block idea from the stickies (thanks!) and I spent several of those hours cussing the Previous Owner (PO). Then I started thinking ...we are all getting our trucks ready for us to be the PO. So I thought of some hints for all of you PO's out there, one of whom really PO'd me with his poor attempt at wiring...

1.) Use more than one color of wire for all the bad splices you're going to do! There is a whole rainbow of colors out there... don't buy one spool of red for the whole job.
2.) Don't reuse or splice fusible links!
3.) There are other ways to join wires together than butt connectors and electrical tape.
4.) You don't use wire nuts leftover from putting the ceiling fan up at your Mom's in a vehicular application.
5.) Bread ties! I can't make this up! Bread freakin' ties are not to be used to bundle wires.
6.) Twine - see #5
7.) If you do any of the above "mods" - write it down for the next owner. Put it somewhere we be able to find and use it.
8.) Don't wire in two different trailer light pigtails ... pick one and use it. If you do wire in two, see #7 and wire it correctly and make it at least look good...
9.) Don't be scared to put some new battery cables in, and buy real connectors for the ground wires, versus wrapping it around a handy loose screw head, leaving the screw still loose...

The good news is that the PO didn't burn down the truck, and with a little luck, I'll be done fixing his custom mods by next week, then I can get on with my own.

Next week - How to fix a "custom" dashboard and radio the PO and his cousin installed while they were drunk. The good news is that while I was unhooking the grounds they left in the back of the cab pulling out the amp for the radio, I found the Crown Royal bag crammed in the cab corner with about forty bucks worth of quarters...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cree
Allright, so I just finished changing all the fusible links out in the 91.5 to the Maxi-Fuse Distribution block idea from the stickies (thanks!) and I spent several of those hours cussing the Previous Owner (PO). Then I started thinking ...we are all getting our trucks ready for us to be the PO. So I thought of some hints for all of you PO's out there, one of whom really PO'd me with his poor attempt at wiring...
Cree don't shoot any silver bullets at to the list:

1) Don't shove a piece of carpet between the radiator and condenser leaving it for me to try to figure out why the truck overheats at times but not all of the time.
2) Don't remove inner-cooler and place it under the cab because the truck is over heating. Refer to #1 and remove the effen carpet as a IC isn't going to do **** when it's under a cab packed full of rocks, mud and junk.

document document document. For someone that told me this was "Professional" install I guess we all have different ideas of what is "professional"

Good Luck with yours

Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

>>>Tomorrow is "dash day". I'm sure I'll have a few choice observations...

Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts