1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Sluggish start from stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish start from stop

Maybe somebody might have some kind of answer to my problem...I just finished the 89 6bt conversion on my 78 bronco...Completely rebuilt engine,, M&H fuel pin,4000 rpm spring,and a dynamic timing kit..Whats happening is the truck takes off sluggish from a dead stop. Once I get to maybe 15 MPH or so I hear the turbo and from there on out the truck takes off like a rocket. Its runs perfect besides that. Its completely driveable the way it is, But I would think that it should take off alot quicker than this..I should be able to hit the pedal and take off right?? Its almost like the truck starts in 3rd gear, Thats the closest way i can describe it. But its not,it is starting in first and shifting through to 3rd no problem,The trans is also rebuilt.The timing for the injection pump is set on the line on the gear case cover..Is there something im missing here..Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wrong converter?

Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Its the stock convertor for the 727 thats hooked to it. I just dont get it. I let off the brake and the truck does start to roll just like any other. So I cant see it being that.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I honestly don't know.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bladeyamaha
Yeah, I honestly don't know.
Convertor trouble. If the one way clutch is stuck, it'll be pretty boggy at startup.

If you aren't getting turbo boost right away, you can adjust the star wheel or smoke screw on the IP to get fuel a little earlier. Might smoke a bit, but should light up the turbo

If you're planning on bigger sticks (injectors) that alone will light it up.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I hope its not a converter issue..Do they free up...The guy I know very well that sold me the trans said it was driving fine in the stock truck. I dont know how the stock trucks take off. My bronco isnt stock either. Id realley hate to touch the pump if I dont have to..When I bought the fuel pin I specifically told M&H that I did NOT want smoke,,Which it isnt..I dont race this truck or looking for high horsepower...I built the engine stock, Just the pieces in the injection pump for a little more performance are different. I thought that maybe Id get more responses from more people, I didnt know if this was a common issue or not...Maybe it is the converter ... I really hope not..I dont feel like dropping the trans and all I just put in 2 weeks ago to replace a converter. Maybe some more people will chime in that may have had this happen..Thanks Mike

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Just an update for everyone. I talked to my guy in Arkansas and told him what was up..He helped me a little so far... Apparently I did not have a spring on the shift cable at the injection pump to pull it forward. I did that and it has made a small difference. But going by what he said,the truck should be taking off. So I made it a little better but still not there. I honestly dont think its trans related. Its almost like I have no boost at all up to 15mph. The engine itself seems to be bogged down up to that point. Maybe fuel related??? But I would think it would be at higher RPMs, Not from a stop to 15mph. I did install a dynamic timing kit and a M&H M3 fuel pin. Would any of these cause a low rpm, problem??

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 09-19-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok everyone I figured it out..It was a fuel issue. So far I turned my power screw in 2 turns and turned the AFC wheel about a turn and a half. The truck rips now. I guess I wasnt getting enough fuel at low speed. Over the weekend Im going to tweek the power screw some more and see if I can back off the AFC wheel. That is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn from being maxed out . I messed with that first before the power screw when I should of started with the screw first. So far so good.

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 09-21-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: misspelling