1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

dodge 1st gen lighting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dodge 1st gen lighting problem

i have a 1992 dodge D350 and i am having problems with the lights. none of the running lights will work on it but the blinkers break lights flashers and headlights still work. i have checke and hanged the fuses and also checked and changed the bulbs. also i have hecked all the wiring everywhere posible for bare wires and shorts. anyone with any info that might help[ would be greatley appreciated

thaks

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Head light switch or wiring is shorted out, that is all.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Diesel Fan

i figured that it was the switch but im running into problems removing the switch. i cant get the **** to ome out to take the plate out to remove the switch and i ant get to the back side of the switch because the ac vent tube and wiring

Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I think the switch **** has an allen head set screw or something similar. You could test the switch theory by back feeding 12 volts into your running lights circuit, however this action could cause you more headaches by frying something like what switch you have left. But you really should not be hurting anything to tell you the truth, but shctuff happens, .

Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Chances are good it's a headlight switch. Unhook the battery.
To remove the **** pull it out till the headlights are on and find a button on the switch under the dash. Push the button in and pull the **** the rest of the way out then remove the retaining coller with a large phillips screwdriver.

If you pull trailer much wire in a relay to the tail light system or seperate the trailer lights from the system.
The replacement switches that are avalible from the parts stores are junk now days.
I find Dodges in the salvage yards with factory switchs for my replacements most aren't india or mex junk.

The following users liked this post:
bladeyamaha (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Diesel Fan

i figured ot the problem.the conector on the harness for the lght control switch likes to melt and it looses contact. i did m share of research and found tha this is a problem manly with the first gen dodge duallys. i guessit has to do with the extra light on he cab and fender running off of the small guage wire. i appreciate the help.

bladeyamaha (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Gas
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Relay the lights and your switch wont burn out anymore. And the lights will get a full 12-14.4v not the 9-10v they get through the stock headlight switch.

bladeyamaha (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gas
Relay the lights and your switch wont burn out anymore. And the lights will get a full 12-14.4v not the 9-10v they get through the stock headlight switch.
+1

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had same problem. No dash lights. no running lights. but brakes when applied, and headlighst. turn signals worked. Replaces dimmer switch. Turns out there is a fuse sending pwr to switch that isnt stated in manual as relating to that circuit. Ill have to check what number. but it was ok( not burnt) but broken. had to be removed to tell. so go through the high am fuses and check the no brainers first. I tore dash off checking and replacing stuff before a friend found this from cutting OEM dimmer block open and seeing it uses 2 sources for pwr.

bladeyamaha (09-09-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 AM
Diesel Fan

i went through and changed all the fuses and checked and changed all the bad bulbs before i started tearing into the dash. what it is doing is melting the plasti onto the terminal and it is not getting contact. i found it on another site and its mainly the dually that has the problem with the melting switch because the small guage wire is running all the extra cab and fender lights

Quick Reply: dodge 1st gen lighting problem