1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

big project.. would appreciate your input

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big project.. would appreciate your input

ok like i stated in my introduction.. i am a big car / truck guy and i have built my share of cool cars , trucks etc... but they were all gas , so diesels are a whole new thing for me..
the truck i want to build will do basically everything.. be strong enough to tow anything, reliable enough to go anywhere anytime i want, comfortable enough to take a road trip across country if need be, and tough enough to go basically anywhere and recover my friends incapable new trucks...
heres what im workin with
body.. 1958 international crew cab pickup.
chassis.. 1985 chevy k30 crew cab long bed
engine.... 1992 6bt
axles ... dana 60 front corp 14 bolt rear.
this is the list of components that are staying put, the variables are..
trans , tcase, engine mods..
that being said my donor dodge is a 2wd and it has a 727 trans, obviously the fact that it is 2wd ruins its usefulness for me and i want an overdrive..
the chevy has a th400 trans and np205 tcase that i think would prob be a pretty strong setup but.. it still has no overdrive and im sure i would prob have to use the governer from a 6.2 powered th400 to get the shift points right..
so i need a transmission i want an automatic, i understand that the manual is better longer lasting can handle more power etc.etc...i do alot of towing and around town driving and i feel that would be better for me, and its my truck so im gonna have what i want.
so what would be the best trans setup for my application , remember i have a chev solid axle front so the front driveshaft drop has to be on the pass side.. i dont know if the 518 can be made to handle some real power and abuse or if i need to run something else (as you can see i have no problem intermixing brands..) i think the 1st gen dodges came with 205 tcases. is that correct? if so could i use the 205 i already have? i also have another chev 205 that was behind a sm465 4 speed trans..
if you have some other trans ideas let me know and what kind of tcase they require..
next is engine up grades.. ive heard about pins and turning the pump up twin turbos single turbos inter coolers 40psi boost 70 psi.. idk what i want.. obviously i want a lot of power but i also know it comes at a price, not just monetarily but also at the cost of broken parts.. so i want a first gen that is just as strong or stronger than most of the new "pumped" up diesels but i also want it to be reliable enough to be a daily driver...
like i said im new so if some of this sounds ridiculous then by all means flame away but at least explain what im doing wrong..
thanks guys

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also i have heard a lot of chatter about ve pumps and p pumps etc.. whats all that about?

Last edited by 440scout; 08-23-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st gens did come with a NP205 case with a male input shaft and a coupler to connect the trans out put to the t-case input.
On my 90 W250 I used a Chevy Step van set up. The Cummins to GM adapter with a
TH400 and a Chevy NP205. As for the shifting, I ended up going with a manual valve body with engine braking from TCI.
As for the SM465 just gotta get your adapters and flywheel set up.
Look on 4BTswap.com they have tons of info that will help.