12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

DRW long to SRW short bed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DRW long to SRW short bed

I came across a 96 2wd ext. cab dually that needed an injection pump. Got it running and now I want to make it a single wheel short bed. Need to kinow if the front hubs off a 2500 will work on the 3500 spindle. Is the rear axle on a 2wd dwr wider than a single 2wd?
Thanks for any help.
Tork

Old 06-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe the hubs are the same, at least they are on a 4X4. You should double check with a parts site like rock auto.

You should not have to swap the hubs just take off the spacer.

The DRW rear axle is a little wider, but you won't notice it much if you convert it to SRW. Just remember the studs on the rear of a DRW are longer so make sure the lug nuts are deep enough or open ended.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Diesel Fan

No spacers on this one the hub and rotor are one piece.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just curious why are you changing from a dually just kidding. but i really am curious. and i dunno how far you are from dallas but a lot of people around here want to do the exact opposite. if you can make the trip you could probaby do the swap and make money. i know a 94 that would look a lot better with 4 back wheels.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Diesel Fan

To be honest I really don't like duallys. They suck to park and ride like a brick unless you are loaded. Not saying they are bad thats just me. But they do handle a load much better. I got this truck at nearly what scrap price is, it has a ton of miles but had a motor change that supposed to have 180k on it. The guy said they changed the motor and the pump was bad. He took it to a shop, they took the pump off took the batterys, cut the cables and closed shop.
I got it home put a pump on it. The turbo must have been of the original motor casue I never saw one that bad. The shaft was snaped and the exhaust turbine was almost gone. When I started the motor it almost had a runaway, the intercooler had nearly a quart of oil in it and after a few minutes it started running on oil. Just got it to where I could drive it yesterday. Still needs a lot of work.

Last edited by Torkjunky; 06-16-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Torkjunky
No spacers on this one the hub and rotor are one piece.
That must be a 2WD thing. The 4X4 is easy, just eight bolts, pop the spacer and put on a regular wheel with regular lug nuts.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Diesel Fan

Thats what I was thinking but when I was going to take them off is when I saw that the hub and rotor was one piece.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how r u planning on turning it into a short bed? cutting frame or frame swap. ur talking about alot of work an money. seems like it might b easier to get that thing running good an an sell it an buy what u want. if u need any stock motor parts intercooler or a perfect stock replacment turbo let me know. im finishing up a build an have some extra stock stuff

The following users liked this post:
Torkjunky (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Diesel Fan

I live close to a scrap metal place that lets you pick parts before they crush them. So parts are cheap. I will grind and knock the front spring hanger rivets, cut the frame and slide the rear section into the frame and use bolts instead of rivets, get an extended cab short bed fuel tank and have the driveshaft cut. Some work but not much money. Oh and take some leafs out of the rear spring packs.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well sounds like u got a plan.

Quick Reply: DRW long to SRW short bed