12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Truck problem high egt laggy no smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck problem high egt laggy no smoke.

Hello all! I've got a couple questions about an issue that I'm having with my Dodge.
Its a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 nv4500 trans.
The problem I'm having happend suddenly, the egts are getting high while easily driving around town and on the highway. Where as before running around town egts were from 500 to 650 maybe 700(egt probe behind turbo) The problem started when I noticed one of my injectors were leaking out of the top of the hold down nut, I took them out and the problem injector was leaking where the two halves screw together, the entire bottom half of the injector was covered in fuel. I took them all down to a local fuel injection shop and had them check them out, they all pop tested good and they found no leaks.
I reinstalled them and still had the high egt problems.
on a side note there is a tapping/ticking sound coming from the front of the engine sounds like the head when the engine is running.
The injectors are 90 horse.
I've checked the valves(thinking the adjustment is off)
fuel pressure is normal with a tork tech overflow valve.
I have changed the air filter and fuel filter. The truck starts as it always has.
The turbo I have on it has no wastegate as I though it could be stuck open and it has been on before I had the problem. If I get on it boost pressure will go up to 30-35 fairly quickly but I have to let off due to egts hitting 900 and I dont want to cause any damage.
I'm at a loss of what to check next... any pointers would be extreamly helpful as the one diesel shop that I truck is about 2 weeks out and I'm tight on money.

Thanks for the help in advance!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by 95.12v.Cummins
Hello all! I've got a couple questions about an issue that I'm having with my Dodge.
Its a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 nv4500 trans.
The problem I'm having happend suddenly, the egts are getting high while easily driving around town and on the highway. Where as before running around town egts were from 500 to 650 maybe 700(egt probe behind turbo) The problem started when I noticed one of my injectors were leaking out of the top of the hold down nut, I took them out and the problem injector was leaking where the two halves screw together, the entire bottom half of the injector was covered in fuel. I took them all down to a local fuel injection shop and had them check them out, they all pop tested good and they found no leaks.
I reinstalled them and still had the high egt problems.
on a side note there is a tapping/ticking sound coming from the front of the engine sounds like the head when the engine is running.
The injectors are 90 horse.
I've checked the valves(thinking the adjustment is off)
fuel pressure is normal with a tork tech overflow valve.
I have changed the air filter and fuel filter. The truck starts as it always has.
The turbo I have on it has no wastegate as I though it could be stuck open and it has been on before I had the problem. If I get on it boost pressure will go up to 30-35 fairly quickly but I have to let off due to egts hitting 900 and I dont want to cause any damage.
I'm at a loss of what to check next... any pointers would be extreamly helpful as the one diesel shop that I truck is about 2 weeks out and I'm tight on money.

Thanks for the help in advance!

One thing I was thinking was that the leaky injector is dumping fuel into the cyl thus causing high egt...but if I had an excess of fuel I think it would bellow black smoke...

Last edited by 95.12v.Cummins; 05-24-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

what is your cruizing temperature? if 900* is you max temp you have 1000*+ to go. LOL

Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Exactly what I was thinking haha

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading that where the egt probe is located varies for max temp. I think it was Dodgeram.org.
That 1250degs in the exhaust manifold and 900degs in the turbo elbow.
With my egt issue is that it happend suddenly when the injector was leaking. Before this issue I would cruise on the highway with my temps about 650-700, 800 getting on it even with a trailer in tow, now I am hitting 800-900 not getting on it with nothing behind me... I have also pressure tested my intake system from the turbo and found no leaks.