12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

98 Dodge Ram, front end making noise over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Dodge Ram, front end making noise over bumps

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 3500 12Valve and every time I hit a bump it make a noise from the front end. I got on the bumper and opened the hood and jumped up and down on it. I narrowed it down to passenger side, either shock or spring. Anyone have any input? If it shocks and/or spring should I replace all of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Is the shock "wet" with oil residue? If it is, then it's a good possibility your shock is toast, sometimes if a shock loses fluid the valving will ride in
An air pocket and then SLAM into the fluid causing a bad knocking noise over bumps. Faulty sway bar links and frame bushings are another common culprit of noise over bumps. Spring probably won't make noise unless it's broken. Either way; it's best if you do one you do
Both of them. Different spring rates from age, and different valving in the shocks can affect steering/braking characteristics and ride quality. You could get by with doing one; but it isn't exactly "right".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Diesel Fan

Yea I figured I should just do both if that is the issue. Its not really a knock it is more a squeaking noise, as the front end sways down after a bump or when I jump on the front end it makes the squeaking noise. I will check again to see if there is any oil residue but I didn't see any. How do I know if it is faulty sway bar links or frame bushings? When I jump on the bumper it really sounds like it is coming from driver side shock. I am going to get my wife to jump on it and try to narrow it down a bit more. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Diesel Bomber

Links will typically show their wear, rocking the truck side to side to simulate body roll will show the wear in your sway bar links/bushings. Sometimes you can grab ahold of your swaybar and actually move it up and down In the frame bushings. Use some WD 40 one rubber bushing at a time and bounce on the truck to see if the squeak goes away. Anything with slop WD 40 won't fix . Good luck tracking it down.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

i know this sound well.

It's the muffler bearings! I **** you not!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Diesel Bomber

some people kids... That's a Chevy part; I **** you not hahaha

Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
some people kids... That's a Chevy part; I **** you not hahaha
bhahahhhahahah!!!! you got that right!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I dont think your gonna need to replace your coil spring, if your shocks are bad just replace them

Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

It could be any number of parts in the front end making that noise. Sway bar links, trac bar, ball joints....

Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Diesel Fan

OK I WD40 everything and it still makes noise. I looked at all the bushings and they all seem OK, some oil build up on them but that's about it. Sway bar seems good, cant move it at all. There doesn't seem to be any residue coming out of the shocks though. I rocked the truck side to side and there was no Squeaking noise. I had all 125 of my wife jumping on the bumper why I try to narrow the squeak down and its definitely only coming from the passenger side and is right around the shock area. Think I need to get some one a bit heavier to bounce on the bumper.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram, front end making noise over bumps