12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

I hope its not a pump!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hope its not a pump!!!

So I checked the injectors they are all in working order. I took the plate out and i have no smoke(dont wanna fog the city just testing to see if its working correctly) So I plan on puting clear tubing in the return line somewhere to see if there is air in the system. What are the chances my lift pump is baked and the p pump is doing all the work? Could the DV's have a role in this?? It does misfire around 1000-1200 and minus doing fuel pressure test I'm just hoping its not the pump I have no money for it.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

the p pump needs pressure to work it will not draw fuel from the tank with out a lift pump. check your fuel filter

Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok well its not the lift pump then cuz the truck runs and drive it just wont soot (again not my intention. Just for testing purposes). And having the fuel plate out I should have soot and noticeable power increase of the 100 plate which I dont

Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Diesel Fan

Check your fuel pressure

Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same exact problem just havent had time to check fuel pressure either, thing that sucks is it could be a number of things. OFV, lift pump going bad, fuel leak, air leak. I got no air leaks, a fuel leak out of the fuel filter location which I cant seem to fix, and pulled the OFV and it looked good. Cleaned pre filter screen and the sock that goes into the tank. All injectors are firing, I cant seem to find the issue as well Maybe I should just buy a fuel pressure gauge and eliminate some things. if you find your problem let us know maybe it will fix mine to

Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalDiesel
I had the same exact problem just havent had time to check fuel pressure either, thing that sucks is it could be a number of things. OFV, lift pump going bad, fuel leak, air leak. I got no air leaks, a fuel leak out of the fuel filter location which I cant seem to fix, and pulled the OFV and it looked good. Cleaned pre filter screen and the sock that goes into the tank. All injectors are firing, I cant seem to find the issue as well Maybe I should just buy a fuel pressure gauge and eliminate some things. if you find your problem let us know maybe it will fix mine to
The return line from your IP runs behind the fuel filter canister, there's a small section of rubber hose that likes to rupture. It's MAYBE 4" long and a real PITA to replace. Make sure it fuel grade hose you replace it with or you'll be doing it again very soon, diesel doesn't play nice with plain rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Is the AFC Functioning? If you only knew the number of customers that came in with low or no power claims and the afc was slid back or the reference line had a hole in it.
With that said, fuel pressure test will cost you one hour of labor in about any shop and it's a very simple and quick test. Why not have it done to rule it out.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

i just cured my bad stumple by stretching the OFV spring. truck ran good but stumpled like crazy in P or N.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks I'm working on the pressure test. And the only thing mine does is idle low (like a slight space between the needle and the bottom of the middle line on the tach(idk if its 500rpms because of the line above 0)) other then that it runs fine looses power around 2300ish maybe a little bit higher. A friend seems to think its the DVs so hes got some extra 191s laying around and we're gonna try that aswell.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

of coarse it looses power there. its defueling. and turn that baby up, that is way to low for the idle.

Quick Reply: I hope its not a pump!!!