12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

More cat 2 micron filter questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More cat 2 micron filter questions.

So i have already decided that im going to go ahead and order a few cat 0749 filters, the big 2 micron ones and then put one on a standard filter head you can get from napa or cheaper online. i could do the whole thing for around 60 bucks and thats including a spare filter.

But i got to thinking, couldn't i just spin a smaller cat filter on the stock filter head and then have the bigger one in line afterward and be even better off? isnt it the same thread, its just a standard 1" thread filter head isnt it? why would i spend 20 on the stock filter that only does 35 microns when i could put a smaller of the 2 micron series on the stock filter head and then have the biggest of the 2 micron series cat filters on the additional filter head.

Im starting to get into alternative fuels and im running alot of used trans fluid so im looking for the best filtration possible.

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 02-07-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't see why that wouldn't work

Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Should filter it pretty well before putting it in your tank, prevents the crud from building up in your tank. Nothing wrong with extra filtration tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You figure out which filter it is that mounts up to stock filter housing? Im very interested in running CAT stuff.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im really looking into all this. if i mounted the cat filter before my stock filter, should i even run a stock filter because of like backpressure reasons? putting more strain on my fuel pump by having to push fuel through 2 filters? or is it ok to use both?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Id consider and Air Dog or FASS ... you can run CAT filters on those but I am interested on running a CAT filter in the stock location and stock set up. With us talking about filters and what not. Also really wanting to run an oil bypass system but need help with set up.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Im going to order 2 of the large cat filters and the filter block. if it fits on the stock setup ill have 2 cat filters in a row, if not ill have a spare. ill put a guage on it to keep an eye on pressure, mainly to monitor the life of the filter. Im not concerned with the lift pump having any trouble.

i dont care about how clean or dirty the tanks gets. used trans fluid really aint that bad, iv been running it strait on the stock setup. my buddys has been doing the same for closer to a year now with no issues. hes saved enough money on diesel that he could buy whatever all the haters want to say it will up. I just thought id upgrade the filter because honestly the stock setup just looks pathetic. I honestly believe that the injection system can take some pretty nasty stuff, otherwise they would have put a better filter in place(like a duramax has a much better filter for example). The thing is capacity, it will plug up too fast running crapy fuel all the time. after i get this setup ill start burning used motor oil since its free and easy too obtain. trans fluid is a pain to hunt down, i work at a regular shop not a transmission shop and i dont get much trans fluid, i drained out what we had in the flush machine and we haven't had a flush yet. I'm gonna buy 100 gallons of used tranny oil from a freind for 80 bucks but after that its engine oil. I prefer the trans fluid because i get considerably better fuel economy on it then diesel(bout 22 vs 17-19 on diesel), i think engine oil will be more of just a filler then a good quality fuel like trans fluid... i would assume trans fluid must just ignite faster, upping the timing and adding the fuel economy.

ever since i dumped all the trans fluid in from the machine at work im just hooked on it now, i can drive 300 miles on $30. that's ridiculous.

Last edited by RAW; 07-28-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Well ... If it works out lemme know. Wanna do that set up. If it turns out right can you PM me the parts or whatever. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok so i did order the 2 cat filters and the 1" by 1.4 pitch filter block. however the stock filter is a 20mm x 1.5mm pitch. so i have a spare filter for the block.

After some research i found that alot of oil filters use the 20x1.5 size. i was thinking, well im running oil so whats the difference, but nobody makes a good oil filter right? then i got to thinking i saw an amsoil oil filter on the bench at work the other day, it was labeled "high eficiency bypass filter", and it said it had a 5 micron rating. upon looking into this filter it is indeed the same size as our stock fuel filter. I might give it a shot... it could be the next big upgrade for these trucks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

so after a bit more research, the amsoil filter is 38 bucks. while it would work well for whoever doesnt want to put any more effort in then just spinning a filter on, i would rather go the cat route. the cat filter and block comes out to about 50 bucks with shipping, i payed around 70 bucks and i have a spare filter. 20 per filter plus 22 for the block plus shipping.

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 02-10-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Don't try to use a bypass filter in the fuel line. It won't flow enough. Look at the GPM rating, if they even have one for that filter - probably not. I run two filters in the 1st Gen fuel system and three in the commonrail. Make sure to put the finer filters downstream in the chain. Otherwise, the coarser filter downstream doesn't do anything because it never sees anything big enough to stop.

The fuel filters, ah yes, can't find the old write-up, here's the pics:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CRD_26.JPG
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CRD_27.JPG
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CRD_28.JPG
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CRD_34.JPG

Originally Posted by Mr. August
Also really wanting to run an oil bypass system but need help with set up.
Oil bypass is really easy and inexpensive on these trucks. All you need is a a few fittings, some hose, clamps, zip ties and the filter of your choice. Lots of places to mount them. Here's where I mounted a BMK30-type (not Amsoil) head on my '07:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CRD_39.JPG

It presently has a Wix 5um can on it, and will go to the Amsoil Eabp120 (2um) on the next change. Holds a gallon of oil. Just tap off the stock filter head and return somewhere. Don't forget to put a restricter in the line to slow the flow. You can return to various places or the pan like I did, something like this:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CRD_04.JPG

Too easy.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 02-11-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
Mr. August (02-13-2012)

Quick Reply: More cat 2 micron filter questions.