12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

I... have the worst luck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Fox
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4,294,967,295 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I... have the worst luck.

So I have a 1975 el camino, and I put a 12 valve in it. 160k on the the motor when pulled. I did the swap about september.

So thanksgiving comes... I do a burn out. Shatter the spider gears in the axle. Just completely obliterate them.

Weld them up and a few days later coming back from PRI auto show, my wh1c turbo siezes on the highway.

So I buy a turbo from somebody here... and he stiffs me on the turbo. Never ships it. Its all settled now, and no worries, but point is I didn't get a turbo.

So I get mad, go to a diesel shop online in Utah... and buy a brand new "FACTORY HOLSET TURBO". He gets them at a decent price because he picks them up from the cummins retailer near him. 5 Days later I open up a kick *** chinese turbo. I get furious and again ask paypal for my money back.

About this time I find a sweet 12bolt rear axle on craigslist, so I run to go pick that baby up... Sand blast it... paint it. Put some disk brakes on it. Go to install it. Brackets dont even come close to fitting. They are all wrong. Even the cast upper control arm mounts are cast in the wrong spot. I find out 12bolts only fit up to a 1972 chasis. Sigh.

Sooo i get more furious. Finally say **** it, and bring in parts to a turbo shop in town so he can build me a super 40hx with a 12cm housing. EVERYBODY recommended this guy. LIterally everyone. 5 days and $640 later, I have my new turbo. I mean this baby is beautiful. All blasted and cleaned. Just got home with it an hour ago. Put it in the truck. Primed it with oil. Let it idle for 15 minutes and take a 1/16mi drive at about 20-30 mph around the neighborhood street.

Come back in open the hood. The shaft has about 1mm side to side play, and the tips of the compressor blades are bent.

whyyyyyyyy.

Last edited by Fox; 02-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Sucks, man. I'm gonna go ahead and take the opportunity to tell you I told you so about the rear end back in September or whenever it was.

Maybe the HX40 has a warranty? Don't know what else to say - major suckage.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow was it rubbing on the intake ?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Fox
Diesel Enthusiast

it was fine and new when I put it in. Spun nice and tight.

I'll be calling them first thing in the morning for sure.

The rear end is fine. 8.5" 10 bolt is strong as a 12 bolt for most intensive purposes... I just should not have been drifting on an open diff.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Yeaaaap. Deffiniately the worst luck.

Just pulled the timing cover. The oil pump broke. The base plate block split right in half, and the driver side gear (which I assume is the idler gear) was just rattling around.

Nice....

Last edited by Fox; 02-03-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, give us some details about the "China Turbo" I am looking at a set of twins from a company in Utah and don't want anything from China unless it comes with steamed rice.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Fox
Diesel Enthusiast

what would you like to know? The obvious give away was the ID tag. It just said Turbocharger. However other than that the Exhaust and intake housings were a near match. The wastegate actuator arm was a match. And they used the correct 12point compressor wheel nut.

The bolts are have a Blued finish on them instead of stainless. It did not use Pinched band clamps. And there is a breather hole in the waste gate actuator. There were only 10 blades on the turbine wheel. True holsets do have these.

It was from a place called ACD Engines in salt lake city. When I spoke to him on the phone, he easily said he would take it back, but still swore up and down that not only was it a true holset, but he personally picked it up from the factory himself.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

F MY LUCK, F THIS CAR.

Just went and bought a new oil pump from a diesel shop.

Installed it. Turned the motor over to prime the pump with some oil.

HALF OF EVERY TOOTH sheeared off. I DID NOT NOTICE that they gave me a straight cut gear oil pump for my helical gear set.

WHAT THE HELL.

Last edited by Fox; 02-03-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts

dude, the MODS are not gana like all the language...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

how did you break the oil pump to start with? find anything wrong in the case?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Fox
Diesel Enthusiast

I could not find any thing wrong in the case... not even any shavings or metalic flakes in the oil.

As far as I can tell, the actual oil rotary pump seized up, and the motor twisted through the idler gear, poping the casting in half.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox
As far as I can tell, the actual oil rotary pump seized up, and the motor twisted through the idler gear, poping the casting in half.
I cannot imagine how that could ever happen, normally. Had to somehow injest some kind of FOD that jammed it, or something like that. Very unusual, freaky in fact.

Quick Reply: I... have the worst luck.