12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

help with pyro gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with pyro gauge

first off i am new so bear with me

i am installing a set of gauges on my truck
they will consist of boost pyro and fuel rail
pressure. where do i need to drill then tap
for the egt probe (do i need to worry about
drill shavings?)

i currently have a 98 12v cummins with no fuel plate
two mitre cut stacks and am getting ready to have a
valair single disc clutch installed

Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Install the prob pre turbo. I install them in the exaust manifold where the collector is or right where the turbo is bolted to exhaust manifold not dead center but off center it's a little thicker. Start engine let idle and drill a pilot hole then go to the size needed with truck running. Once drilled shut off truck. Get ur tap and put grease on tap and tap hole u just drilled the grease on tap will hold the shavings while u tap the manifold
Mark

The following users liked this post:
Billy D (01-18-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Another good reason to drill off center is the partition, if you drill in the center you'll hit the center and it'll interfere with your probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the heavy truck pyro sensors i have seen were in the turbo pipe elbow on the outlet side. are the readings much different upstream of the turbo? turbo pipe cheaper to replace then manifold it you eff it up. i guess you would have to weld a bung tho, which could be difficult if you dont have access to a welder. (like me) is the manifold brittle/hard to drill after umpteen million hot/cold cycles? i would be afraid of cracking it with the tap. if your engine had a bad lung on that side of the collector you could get a colder reading on one side of the manifold too no? im not trashing you, im just wondering

Last edited by Xraytheo; 01-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok u can put the prob post turbo in the exhaust elbow if u want the readings will be about 300 deg different. So if u install it post turbo like a semi is max egt's u would want is 900 deg on the gauge. Pre turbo max egt's 1200 deg.

My 98 that I just bought with 300k mi on it I just did the gauges on it last mo drilled the manifold with no cracking problems. Do it when the engine is fairly cold not hot. If u want a pic of my location e mail me and I'll email a pic of mine. I Havnt cracked a manifold yet not going to say it doesn't happen but after numororse one I've done hasn't Happend to me.

Mjschneider76@att.net
Mark

Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Many ways to drill a whole.but it is not recommended to use grease on your bit bits are designed to pull material out.and keep the hole dry that way you can vacuum the hole out.grease may trap shavings inside of the hole wall.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Diesel Fan

I use just a light coat of grease towards the top of the threads on the tap so when are are pulled up they stick to the grease

Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

How about tap it while it's running just the same as when drilling, just remember to cut threads then back off half turn to "clean" the tap. Otherwise breaking the tap is a good possibility, and I'm sure that tap is much harder than your manifold. Never concerned myself with cracking a manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
Otherwise breaking the tap is a good possibility, and I'm sure that tap is much harder than your manifold.
actually i saw a guy once get a broken end of a tap out of a head of a cat c15 manifold stud hole by shattering it with an air hammer with a punch bit on it. it was the cats ***! way better then spending the rest of your life trying to extract it

Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Diesel Fan

Once you are done with the tap get a small magnet from you auto store and feel around the inside of the manifold and get any shavings out that may have fallen inside. Worked for me.

Quick Reply: help with pyro gauge