12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

96 12v brake/ps problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 96 12v brake/ps problems

Hey guys im having a weird issue with my 96 cummins, The brakes are real slow on the return and they stay enguaged for a sec or 2 then slowly releasealso pulls to the right reall hard!, thought it was the calipers so I replaced everything calipers pads rotors did the wheel bearing hub assy. and ball joints while I was down there.. But the problem is still there! The other thing is its been pushing power steering fluid out of the cap.. so idk if the pump is going bad, Causing my brake issues or what... any Help please and thank you!!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

vac leak i would guess do u have 4x4? if so see if it works

Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man I had the same problem. There is a bar on the front end called a sway bar and if it's loose it will do that. I fixed it and it drive AMAZING!! Hope this helped

Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yes its 4x4 it works,... well it did when I fist got it id have to click it in to see now, Its been a while.. I was thinking about giving it a vacuum test do you know what the vacuum press should hold at?... Just did new sway bar links f+R I dont see how that would effect the brakes tho...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

update.. 4x4 works great!... brakes are horible just went for a ride roads are a little wet. made it down the street and brakes locked up on me skid for 5 feet then finialy let loose.... its driving me nuts idk what the issue is!! and still pushing fluid out of the p/s. cap!!

Last edited by gyayo2012; 12-06-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

could the shoes be grabbing on the drums? i have this exact same issue but my 4x4 dodnt work either.... i found a vac leak under the hood and when i replaced it...the issue was solved... mine pulled super hard to the left....like the right didnt even have a caliper on it.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I got rid of the drums put in a dana 70 rear disk conversion from diy4x, thought it would help with my problem because I originaly thought it was the drums because the rears would lock up on me but then the rears were doin fine with the disks and the fronts lock up and stay locked for a count! I disconnected the rears to see if it did anything but the front still do it if I drive for a little while you smell the brakes bad!! like they stay with pressure the whole time you drive you know?!! idk the booster is pressureized I pulled the plug after a run and let it all out put a new elbo and seal on it all the vac lines are connected do you think the master is shitted? it was full of black soot when I fist got it but I drained it cleaned it and bleed every line until new fluid came out brakes have good pressure when you pump and left off the bleeder screw so I dont think the lines are junked out none of them leak either... Im about to beat her!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Diesel Bomber

maybe the soft lines are swelled?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

or the master could be junk...or maybe the proportioning valve, i would check the cheap stuff first... like the soft lines and the proportioning valve.

Last edited by monster12valve; 12-06-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

you can still buy a new proportioning valve? id love to replace the the valves and the master but from what ive read, correct me if im wrong but dodge had discontinued the proporp valve?.. Im goin to hit up the local parts store and get some new rubber lines and master in the am I should prob just buy a roll of steel line, and redo all the brake lines also... since im this far in I might as well make it all new!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sway bars only control body roll/sway. I would look at the pump, if im not mistaken 12v's have hydroboost, meaning the breaks and PS rely on the same vaccume since the breaks dont have a break booster, pump vac. pressure should be around 125 psi at idle with the wheels straight ahead, hope this helps

Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Possible master cylinder, one of the pistons in the master cylinder isn't retracting fully and uncovering the relief port causing a brake to drag. I'd still look into a power steering pump, it shouldn't be pushing fluid out of the reservoir even if the master cylinder was garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: 96 12v brake/ps problems