12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Need some vgt help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some vgt help

I got to messing with my turbo today and built brackets to mount a waste gate acuator to the turbo. Well i set it up to start out at the sweet spot i had found and that is about 1/4" back from full forward or ex brake setting. In this position locked down the truck ran awsome but egts get way to high in high gear tc locked up it will go to 1500 fast. I thought by moving the vgt arm back a little it opens things up slightly and that should drop the egts. Well once i got everything hooked up and working i really dont know what the heck is going on with it.... It tales off like it did before but instead of seeing 46 psi it is smoking and only getting about 35 psi. I guess i am kind of lost. I have seen people posting about doing the wg acuator deal alot but never really heard of anyone that said how and why they got it right. I have the overall travel limitted to maybe 3/8" because at full rearward the boost fell off fast with tons of smoke. Help

Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotravis
I got to messing with my turbo today and built brackets to mount a waste gate acuator to the turbo. Well i set it up to start out at the sweet spot i had found and that is about 1/4" back from full forward or ex brake setting. In this position locked down the truck ran awsome but egts get way to high in high gear tc locked up it will go to 1500 fast. I thought by moving the vgt arm back a little it opens things up slightly and that should drop the egts. Well once i got everything hooked up and working i really dont know what the heck is going on with it.... It tales off like it did before but instead of seeing 46 psi it is smoking and only getting about 35 psi. I guess i am kind of lost. I have seen people posting about doing the wg acuator deal alot but never really heard of anyone that said how and why they got it right. I have the overall travel limitted to maybe 3/8" because at full rearward the boost fell off fast with tons of smoke. Help
first off, yo have a ford in a dodge thread secondly the 6.7 vgt turbo never cam on 12valve trucks. so try to go to the 6.7 section.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i can say is........ DUDE YOU DONT HAVE SCHOOL TODAY OR SOMETHING BETTER TO DO?
First off I have a 12v in a ford. second the turbo is used alot on 12v. and i have it ALL in a f250. get a life bro!