12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Looking to buy first Cummins! Q's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy first Cummins! Q's?

1994 Reg. Cab Cummins 5 speed $6800
1997 Dodge Cummins 297K5 speed $7500
1990 Dodge w-250 auto $6000

So here are 3 trucks I am looking at & considering, in reality I only have about $6k or so to spend.
Main Question: HOW BAD is "troublesome" Blowby on a 200K+ Cummins?
2nd Question: What boost should be seeing out of 12V?
3rd Question: How can I tell a P7100 injection pump has been replaced? They guy said it may have been cause the one on there now is "unpainted"

I went and looked at the 1997 with 297K on it today. Its a worn country truck, and I was really weary about the miles. The truck seemed to puff out some smoke out of the dipstick and oil fill, but not "a lot" especially compared to the smoke machine 188K mile ford i looked at earlier that had both the front and rear main seals leakin like crazy too. The 97 cummins did not really have any blue smoke at start up or while under power, although it might have been consumed by the coal, 25 or so lbs.max boost I believe I saw getting on it.
Goods:
-aftermarket clutch & tranny was great.Didnt seem to slip and was smooth
-lots of power
-smooth running
-Rear & Front Main seals seemed light leak to good.
-Throttle response was excellent
Bads:
-Track Bar & tie rods NEED replaced bad
-Tires are really small (though good tread)
-cracked windshield
-temp gauge doesnt register
-E Brake Cable broken/not working
-Almost seemed like "too much coal"

I am going to look at the other 2 trucks on Monday after i'm gone hunting for the weekend.

What are the main things I should look for on these trucks?
Any suggestions on these rigs?

I can wait on buying a truck till later this winter or even early spring if I really have too. I'm a college student though, so that 6K is not going to build up much more over the school year so i'm stuck at that price. Just looking for a reliable 4X4 tow rig

ALL THE HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! I know this post is loaded with q's.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

first off a truck is still a truck. the engine may run well after 200k but the rest of the truck is searing out. does an old gasser drive down the road like a champ with 300k on the odometer??? i think not, unless you can continue to replace the worn out parts that WILL plague you.

if all you have is $6000 do some SERIOUS shopping, dont jump into a piece of crap just because its a diesel. i would recommend a 5spd they are slower but again if you olny have a few pennies to spend they will last much longer in the stock form.

1st gens are good trucks, not so many creature comforts but good trucks. and generally lots less money to purchace. you cant make much more than 350-400HP with a ve pump without big money.

just do yourself a big favor and keep shopping. good cheaper trucks are out there. might not seem like it but they are. look for something in the 150,000mile range. the TRUCK will still have life left in her.

stock boost is like 19ish. with a stock turbo you shouldnt go over 35lbs
blow by is bad. means your rings are toast and the engine needs rebuilt -STAY AWAY-

hope that helps. if you have anymore questions just ask

Last edited by turbo2332; 10-21-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo2332
first off a truck is still a truck. the engine may run well after 200k but the rest of the truck is searing out. does an old gasser drive down the road like a champ with 300k on the odometer??? i think not, unless you can continue to replace the worn out parts that WILL plague you.

if all you have is $6000 do some SERIOUS shopping, dont jump into a piece of crap just because its a diesel. i would recommend a 5spd they are slower but again if you olny have a few pennies to spend they will last much longer in the stock form.

1st gens are good trucks, not so many creature comforts but good trucks. and generally lots less money to purchace. you cant make much more than 350-400HP with a ve pump without big money.

just do yourself a big favor and keep shopping. good cheaper trucks are out there. might not seem like it but they are. look for something in the 150,000mile range. the TRUCK will still have life left in her.

stock boost is like 19ish. with a stock turbo you shouldnt go over 35lbs
blow by is bad. means your rings are toast and the engine needs rebuilt -STAY AWAY-

hope that helps. if you have anymore questions just ask
thats good advice! i like that 94' looks like a good truck for 6k

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also start the truck and remove the oil cap and see if there is alot of smoke coming out... you shouldnt see but a tiny tiny bit were u would have to look at the right angle to see. the more smoke u see.... the worse the blowby is.

Last edited by monster12valve; 10-21-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Well I looked at the 94. That thing was a BEAST. The prior owner was a diesel mechanic at a shop in town. That has by far been the fastest truck I have ever driven, and the throttle was so touchy it was tough to drive cause the motor just ran free.
Negatives to the 94:
-Startup not much smoke, but idling it was pumpin out some blue smoke.
-Blowby at start up was nothing, but when warm it was blowin out smoke pretty decent from oil fill and dipstick tube (not as bad as 97)
-No A/C, condenser cut out
-Steering shot and power steering pump leaking (track bar is aftermarket and good)
-Turbo had a little play in and out, loose, not sloppy though.
-Transfer case needs bearing/seal overhaul.
-Stomping on it the smoke coming out was grey, not really black. LEADS me to think some oil blowby.

The 90 I looked at was in GREAT Shape and completely stock 242K miles. The motor was super clean, with almost no smoke period. and no oil leaks. Even when driving it never even popped out any smoke. Lots of new things, only thing was it was a Turd power wise compared to everything else, but I imagine its really easy to get those ol' girls to power up?
Negatives:
-Steering gear needs replaced
-3 Speed Auto (New bands and fluid though)
-Brake problem, new brakes and all from Les Schwab,but seems like there is a ton of air in the lines and the ABS and Brake lights are on.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i can see all therse trucks are quiet a bit over priced if i was you i would look around some more and the 1st gens auto trannys r junk you cant do much more than stock power without building them.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

the auto tranny's are so very similar from 89 through the end of the 2nd gens. really the only thing that change majorly was the overdrive unit in the 2nd gens. many many parts are interchangeable. the 727 isn't junk but is weak from the factory just like the 47RH's and 47RE's in the later models. its problems can be resolved. you 1st gen was most likely a dog because it had the h1c turbo on it. but i agree those truck are overpriced. highly recommend not buying someone elses FAST truck. its been beat on. find a nice stocker or close to stocker and build your own.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

x2 on not buying another mans race project. i built mine...but i dont beat on it at alll...but i will never sell mine... who knows how that guy drives it.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a 19993 w-250 with 199xxx miles on it, runs mint never touched was completely stock when i bought it. no rust any where, 4x4 extended cab, mint intererior and auto tranny rebuilt 20,000 miles before i bought it and was built by jasper. i ended up getting the truck for $3,800. truck was for sale by me at one point and was fetching $7,000 with out trouble. these trucks are out there and you can find gems for prices like mine, you just have to do the time of tracking one down and make low offers, i knocked mine down $2,300 dollars in 15 minutes. the worst someone could say is no. do your self a favor and find something with lower miles and better pricing.