12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

What Yall Think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default What Yall Think?

Alright, I'm interested in buying this pickup. I went to test drive/inspect it today and from what I saw and felt, it's a pretty tight pickup.

dodge ram 3500 dually diesel

Now, there are some issues with it.
1. The guy just did the ball joints and tie rod ends but somehow the driver side tire is messed up. Whenever I drove it, it would pop and was kinda tough to steer. First thought was it needs power steering fluid, which it does. But I can't explain the popping it does. I parked it and turned the steering wheel and it pretty much gave a good bang and lifted the front end up about an inch. I know this isn't normal so if someone knows something please chime in.
2. It leaks oil pretty good. From what I can tell it's coming from the timing cover, passenger side. I believe the KDP fell out and cracked the cover. Hopefully that's all it did but I don't know. Also, I pulled the oil dipstick out when it was running and noticed some small amounts of smoke puffin out. Not alot but you could see it. Any thoughts?
3. Third gear grinds a little bit when shifting into it, up and down shifting. I know the fifth gear nuts are known to loosen theirselves on the NV4500s but what could've caused this? The pickup shifts pretty good, clutch is nice and firm, all the gears work excellent. I just want to know if this is a simple fix or something that's going to take a pretty penny to get done.
4. And finally, this thing ROLLS some serious coal. As you can see it has a stack, not sure what size but it pretty much fills it up. According to the owner he hasn't messed with it but the owner previous to him might have. I looked and really didn't notice anything being messed with on the pump but I'm no 12 valve expert so I don't know. I did notice the waste gate had been plugged but I doubt it could have caused it to bellow out this amount of smoke. It looks cool as hell but it's simply too obnoxious for my taste.

If anyone has some info, comments or anythin please post them. I really would like to buy this pickup cause I need it but if it's a potential money pit then I'll wait for something better. Thanks yall

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Dang, nobody?

Last edited by aguilar_15; 10-19-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aguilar_15
Alright, I'm interested in buying this pickup. I went to test drive/inspect it today and from what I saw and felt, it's a pretty tight pickup.

dodge ram 3500 dually diesel

Now, there are some issues with it.
1. The guy just did the ball joints and tie rod ends but somehow the driver side tire is messed up. Whenever I drove it, it would pop and was kinda tough to steer. First thought was it needs power steering fluid, which it does. But I can't explain the popping it does. I parked it and turned the steering wheel and it pretty much gave a good bang and lifted the front end up about an inch. I know this isn't normal so if someone knows something please chime in.
2. It leaks oil pretty good. From what I can tell it's coming from the timing cover, passenger side. I believe the KDP fell out and cracked the cover. Hopefully that's all it did but I don't know. Also, I pulled the oil dipstick out when it was running and noticed some small amounts of smoke puffin out. Not alot but you could see it. Any thoughts?
3. Third gear grinds a little bit when shifting into it, up and down shifting. I know the fifth gear nuts are known to loosen theirselves on the NV4500s but what could've caused this? The pickup shifts pretty good, clutch is nice and firm, all the gears work excellent. I just want to know if this is a simple fix or something that's going to take a pretty penny to get done.
4. And finally, this thing ROLLS some serious coal. As you can see it has a stack, not sure what size but it pretty much fills it up. According to the owner he hasn't messed with it but the owner previous to him might have. I looked and really didn't notice anything being messed with on the pump but I'm no 12 valve expert so I don't know. I did notice the waste gate had been plugged but I doubt it could have caused it to bellow out this amount of smoke. It looks cool as hell but it's simply too obnoxious for my taste.

If anyone has some info, comments or anythin please post them. I really would like to buy this pickup cause I need it but if it's a potential money pit then I'll wait for something better. Thanks yall

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Dang, nobody?
I can't answer your questions but from the CL post that truck up here would be about $8000+.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge35004x4
I can't answer your questions but from the CL post that truck up here would be about $8000+.
x2 even if you have to put $3,000 in it to fix up its still a good deal

4x4?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

check to see if the tamper proof bolt are in the afc still... then u will know if it has been messed with... does it have gauges? if not i would be worried about how hot it has been with all the smoke it makes....especially hauling a gooseneck full or fords ( i imagine thats what he means by trash).

Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

03Powerstroke- Nope 2x4

monster12valve- There is a screw missing from the AFC, top right corner. I did notice that right off the bat. No gauges and that's what has me worried. I'm thinking the first owner might've messed with the timing or something bacause the timing cover has been removed. They tried sealing it with some type of crappy silicon gasket sealant, I'm willing to bet that's why it's leaking too but not 100% sure.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that it's been messed with by that bolt being missing. The price isn't terrible, but if it was me, I'd be passing by this one. The fact that it has no gauges is one of the top reasons on the list, especially with towing. The puffing out of the dipstick indicates you have some excessive blowby, which you can't be sure of how bad it is without doing a leakdown test. I'm not an expert on the manual transmissions these trucks have, but the third gear grinding problem is more than likely a synchro. Also, if you were to buy it, i'd take care of that wastegate as one of the first things. Get yourself an adjustable boost elbow and take the piece of mind that your turbo won't overboost and come flying apart.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

i would confront him with ur new found knowledge and beat him up on the price some.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

I'd try to pick it up for about 3K

Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

The smoke from the dipstick is proablly from blowby in the crank case, the popping noise is proabaly the ball joint bet they didnt grease em. The front covers eventually leak oil and if the kdp caused it you would know you have a BP size oil spill in you drive way. I bet some kid pushed up the fuel plate on your pump.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

look at the pics under the truck, the oil all over the ground thats ahh keeper

Quick Reply: What Yall Think?