12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

500hp project

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 500hp project

ok, im looking to do a build to get as close to 500hp as possible. right now ive taken the truck off the road due to a junk converter and being sick of the stock suspension setup. i know in order to play with big numbers youve got to pay the big bills but id like to keep costs down.

im also planning to get rid of anything stock up front a far as suspension and steering goes. im doing triangulated longarms so i can get rid of the damn trac-bar and would like to do a full hydro system for steering. anyone have experience with building triangulated links?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

oh, it will be used as a DD and for offroad shenanigans. im open to recomendations in general

Last edited by BramanteCummins; 10-17-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

i very much believe full wet steering is illegal. hydro assist is fine but i think there has to be a mechanical link. i think. i did mine with an orbital gear out of an old combine and a tsc cylinder. most expensive thing is the lines. everything sost me about $600 for the steering.

better turbo
5x.014 sticks
4k gov springs
valve springs
4 inch exhaust
gauges
possibly DV's
advance your timing
recommend studs if you are going over 40psi on a regular basis and more than 17ish timing

Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

If your trans is stock then that is the very first thing you need to upgrade!!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Diesel Fan

Got any pics of that setup? My original thought was to basically have the box as a backup. I'd like to run a crossover type steering but I'm not sure if I'll be able to clear on top of the knuckle.
Considering this is goIng to be my daily, I don't want a turbo that is going to take forever to light. I was considering using one of the more modern turbos and just use a waste gate to actuate the vanes. Think it will be able to feed those sticks up to their full potential?
I don't want to go further than 40psi or past 16.5 * for reliability reasons unless someone thinks i can push it further.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by 1AMatt
If your trans is stock then that is the very first thing you need to upgrade!!
And that's part of this! I won't have any need or want to go much farther than 500hp. What should I do for a tranny. Keep the auto and shell cash Into that or swap to something else. Keeping cost in mind for the benefit actually gained

Last edited by BramanteCummins; 10-17-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

A brand new trans is probably gonna run you close to 5k.... But you will never have to worry about it again!! A lot of people seem to have good luck with Suncoast, or Goerend

Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Diesel Fan

i dont need something that can handle 1500hp. 500 or close to that is all im asking...
seriously though, on the trans side of things will i be better off with a 5spd swap or build up my current auto so it can handle that amount of power.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Diesel Bomber

tranny need a TC and a VB immediatly. upgrade your servoes they are pretty cheap. you can buy a kit for like $50 to put 5 forward clutches in it instead of 4 and put a billet input in it. you should be fine with that. and i dont have any pics of the bracketry on my old steering. sold it a year or so ago. you REALLY dont need all that steering power. i was on 44's. and you wont need a massive turbo to get you to 500hp

Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Diesel Fan

What would recommend for an input shaft and vb. I have a converter in mind already. I know I isn't necessary but I've gone through 3 steering boxes and two trac- bars. I. Am. Done. So tired of swapping out boxes. Just want it to feel nice and tight so I can go down the highway with confidence again. What should I be running for boost to sustain 5x.014 sticks?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Diesel Bomber

have you tried the steering box stabilizer they make for our trucks? BD makes one its like $250

any name brand vb will be fine. depends on what you really want. (shift quality) you just need higher pressures to keep things engaged

a billet 1 or 2 piece input should do just fine for ya

what do you mean? turbo size, max psi?

35ish lbs is plenty really. maybe 40, i just hate broke crap if you USE the truck I would keep it under 40lbs. its not PSI its volume thats makes the power. you wont need a massive turbo 62/65/12-14 maybe a smudge bigger.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Does that box stabilizer do any good for a box that already has play? For the vb and shaft, could you point me in a good direction to look or the ones to avoid

Quick Reply: 500hp project