12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok this is what happened number one its a 1995 dodge 2500 cummins 4x4 i had to tear my radiator and everything out to get to the timing and take all the gears out to get the back cover off because it was leaking and i did so got it fixed put the gears back on put everything back together started the truck up drove down the road turned around and started back when my truck started to sputter and sounded like it was out of fuel. and my fuel gauge doesnt work and i had forgotten that it was low when i parked it and all ik stupid as hell. but i got some diesel and dumped it in and primed it and it still wouldn start it would just blow white smoke not alot but some. i got it pulled back home and started going through all the things i do when my diesels run dry i took the fuel filter off got a new one and filled it up with diesel and cranked truck without filter on to make sure fuel pump was still bringing fuel that fair and it was i got the filter on got all air out pumped the primer and tried to start and same thing. then i unhooked a injector line and cranked and fuel come out there to i hooked it all back together and still the same thing. i was getting desperate at this time so i sprayed a lil statrer fluid into pipe running to my turbo/ intake whatever and the truck fired up but if i let the rpms drop it would die when i would push the pedal it would blow smoke and run like a great ape and start to blow flames so i immediatly stopped and re didi everything i had done with the fuel still no luck. i am clueless and need help asap plz help. could it be something with the timing? i am getting over whelmed and pissed at this

Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like your timing sliped to me..did you tighten the crap out of the pump gear?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Diesel Fan

i tightened everything down real tight but it looks like i am going to have to tear everything back down

Old 10-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah, sounds like the timing slipped to me too. You have to get that shaft VERY clean or you'll almost certainly have problems.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have all the tools to do the timing on your truck

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Timing all day! You dont have to tear everything down again just pop off the oil fil tube and #1 dv holder and with the proper tools youll be done in 45 min. Be sure to clean the heck out of that shaft, and when I timed mine I replaced the lock washer and torqued the nut to 185. It hasent slipped at all, but also be reminded that you cannot tighten it to much or you can "pull out" the pump shaft

Old 10-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Diesel Fan

well its not the timing took alot of work but everything is timed perfect still nothing i got it together and when i push my primer is sounds like there is a air leak by the injection pump? any ideas

Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 PM

try your fuel heater. mine would lose prime if i let it sit overnight and it turned out to be air that was getting in through the electrical plug in the fuel heater. it is an easy thing to get rid of since its a problemed part

Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

OFV possibly

Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on the fuel heater

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!