12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

why can i spin my front drive line and tires dont move?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why can i spin my front drive line and tires dont move?

just woundering why, i have no t-case in right now and i can just spin the drive line and it does not want to move the truck at all. i have not used this dana 60 front yet,

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You have a open differential, and the way the CAD system works on the axle is the passenger side of the axle is in two parts (two axle shafts that are separate), when vaccum is applied, a fork shifts over and connects the two. Without the fork connecting the two (which should happen when you shift your transfer case into a four wheel drive option, a switch on the tcase sends air over the the axle. ) the open differential sends power to the side with the less resistance. Since unconnected, the bare axle shaft inside the passenger side IS spinning, but that is it until that fork inside the CAD system is moved over engaging it.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Sudia247
You have a open differential, and the way the CAD system works on the axle is the passenger side of the axle is in two parts (two axle shafts that are separate), when vaccum is applied, a fork shifts over and connects the two. Without the fork connecting the two (which should happen when you shift your transfer case into a four wheel drive option, a switch on the tcase sends air over the the axle. ) the open differential sends power to the side with the less resistance. Since unconnected, the bare axle shaft inside the passenger side IS spinning, but that is it until that fork inside the CAD system is moved over engaging it.
so basicly when im in 4wd its the front axle works like a open diff rear end does, how it spins the tire with the least resistance? is there a way to make both tires lock up?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default I've Always Wanted One of These...

Originally Posted by alexbland
...is there a way to make both tires lock up?
ARB AIR LOCKER-DANA 60-30 SPLINE 4.56 UP (RD21)

Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yup just like any open diff would. And yes, you can get an ARB, Eaton ELocker, Auburn Ected are all choosable. Id recommend the Auburn Ected, its a posi, and with a flip of a magnetic switch, it becomes a locker.

You could always go with a locker or posi as well.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Diesel Fan

Yup just like any open diff would. And yes, you can get an ARB, Eaton ELocker, Auburn Ected are all choosable. Id recommend the Auburn Ected, its a posi, and with a flip of a magnetic switch, it becomes a locker.

just woundering cause in my head it would work but im sure more people would do it if it did. could i get the cable posi-loc, with a locker. then come snowtime and i need 1 tire to slip could i throw it in 4wd and not pull out the cable posi-loc. and if i want them both locked then i can pull the cable out?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

the arb from reading it sounds like it only locks up if i want it too? or am i reading it wrong

i really want to make it so i can chose if i want the front end locked or not. because snow time i want it to slip but in the dirt i want it locked

Last edited by alexbland; 10-07-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alexbland
just woundering cause in my head it would work but im sure more people would do it if it did. could i get the cable posi-loc, with a locker. then come snowtime and i need 1 tire to slip could i throw it in 4wd and not pull out the cable posi-loc. and if i want them both locked then i can pull the cable out?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

the arb from reading it sounds like it only locks up if i want it too? or am i reading it wrong

i really want to make it so i can chose if i want the front end locked or not. because snow time i want it to slip but in the dirt i want it locked
I feel the same way, about wanting a locker, but wanting some slip for the snow. All the first 3 differentials I named are selectable. You have to flip a switch for any of those to engage the locker. Im not much of a pneumatic person, so if it were my truck Id stay away from the ARB. Im not sure on that cable posi-lock with a locker idea, sounds like it would work, but if it was flawless, why isn't is more popular or heard of?

Anyone else have information on this?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Diesel Fan

I feel the same way, about wanting a locker, but wanting some slip for the snow. All the first 3 differentials I named are selectable. You have to flip a switch for any of those to engage the locker. Im not much of a pneumatic person, so if it were my truck Id stay away from the ARB. Im not sure on that cable posi-lock with a locker idea, sounds like it would work, but if it was flawless, why isn't is more popular or heard of?

Anyone else have information on this?
on the other webiste im on they thought it would work as well. anyone else have input?