12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

make my trans stronger, and get more power.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default make my trans stronger, and get more power.

hey everyone. i bought a 1996 dodge 2500 cummins. it has a 0 fuel plate, star wheel turned, pyro gauge, trans temp gauge, boost gauge. 5 inch exhaust into stacks, intake, and the guy said it had a rebuilt trans. What are some good point, and bad points about this truck. also what are somethings i can do to make my trans hold up to more power. Also what are some more things i can do for power?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

larger injectors for more power. do a gov. spring kit and timing to 16*. you will like that for a start!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

4k springs best single mod ive done. do you know how build your tranny is?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Diesel Fan

what size injectors? and idk all the guy said it was rebuilt when i bought the truck. i just want it to have more power but not destroy my trans. it doesnt have much power now. the govener springs are easy to install? how hard are injectors? i dont wana melt down my motor either.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

should have some fair power with no fuel plate. you need to put in a pyrometer to keep a eye on those EGT's. do you have paper work on the tranny? you could always call the shop to see what upgrades were done. as far as injectors go i would go with 75hp or 90hp but no more as the stock turbo will not keep EGT's down.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Diesel Fan

no paper work with the trans. and i have a pyro. where would be a good place to get injectors? i also really want a gsk. 3k for now i guess. i dont want to change my valve springs for the 4k ones. but i am really worried about the trans because i know dodge ones dont hold up.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check the check valve on your tranny cooler line for sure if its still there yank it out for its a tranny killer also the tranny oil should not be neglected i change mine every 12k along with a filter and front and rear band adjustments witch are cake its just a set screw type set up one is outside the trans and the other is inside out in the open when the pans off no biggy. but the check valve sticks on the line and will melt your tranny when you find out its stuck its wayy too late. also sdx injectors are real nice so iv heard at least i will be running the 14's soon and as far as the gsk go for the 4k i have it shifts right at 3k no problem greatest thing i ever did to my truck honestly

Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah i would do the gov. springs for sure and bump the timing. would stay away from larger injectors until you can verify what has been done to the tranny. the converter is the weak link and if that was not beefed up then u will have problems. throw a bahf air filter on there as well and modify your overflow valve for a little more fuel. that is just my 2 cents!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Diesel Fan

anyone know any ways to tell if my trans has actually been done? i the guy i bought it off was a little odd and wont return my calls. another thing is that it takes of in first like A rocket, then nthe 1 - 2 second shift it kinga stays at the same rpm level but the speed is still climbing but not as fast as it was in first. is it supose to do that or what?

Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

well 1 through 3rd is controlled by fluid pressure and the rest is by the throttle position sensor. do you know if it has a shift kit in it. im no tranny guru but im sure someone else will chime in.