12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Manual to Auto questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to Auto questions?

I know people commonly go the opposite direction with this, but I believe a built auto would suit my wants/needs a little better. let me start by saying, I realize this won't be cheap. Ive post on here before, but I have the 12v cummins converted Nissan Titan. Right now it has the nv4500 in it. It works great, but after driving a couple dodge's with built autos, there's just no comparison im my opinion. My basic question is, what all do ya'll belive would be the challenges in this swap? I realize no one has likely done this to a Titan before, but im hoping that with so many ford/cummins conversions someone may be able to chime in with some possible similar challenges that could be universal or what they believe i might run into. and maybe with any luck have a suggestion or two of how to alleviate it. thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

what auto did u wanna use? there is adapters for most already out.. i know the allison has a stand alone controller out... but im not sure how big of a pain that would be. the 47rh might be a easier choice.... no wireing

Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Diesel Fan

well i didn't have a specific trans in mind. i contacted Bean's diesel performance which is out here near me and seem to know their stuff, and they suggested i go with a BTS built 4r100 ford tranny. if the 47rh is built right, is it as good as say the 47re or an allison?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

i swapped in an auto! easy swap. 47rh would be the easiest, allisons are huge and you would more than likely have to do major floorpan surgery to fit it. the 47rh can be just as strong though. if its anything like the 24 valve the belhousing pattern is the same and so is the starter, all you need to do is take the 5 speed out, pull the flywheel, and install a flexplate then throw it together.
the rear driveshaft worked fine for me but on lifted trucks it runs into issues. and the frond driveshaft needs to be shortened.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by turbostang7
i swapped in an auto! easy swap. 47rh would be the easiest, allisons are huge and you would more than likely have to do major floorpan surgery to fit it. the 47rh can be just as strong though. if its anything like the 24 valve the belhousing pattern is the same and so is the starter, all you need to do is take the 5 speed out, pull the flywheel, and install a flexplate then throw it together.
the rear driveshaft worked fine for me but on lifted trucks it runs into issues. and the frond driveshaft needs to be shortened.

cool thanks bud. my truck is certainly lifted but ill cross that bridge when i get there. i reckon what im most worried about is the shifter. id like to be able to utilize the column shifter but im worried about getting it to work. im kind of jumping into this custom world with little experience unfortunately. thats why it sure is helpful to have folks like ya'll around.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Default Re: Manual to Auto questions?

The column shifter shouldn't be too terrible to fab up, how is the one on the Nissan?

Sent from my DROIDX

Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Diesel Fan

The column shifter shouldn't be too terrible to fab up, how is the one on the Nissan?

Sent from my DROIDX

Not really sure what ur askin bud. i havent actually opened up the column to look at it yet. im wondering if ill be able to utilize the nissan shifter or if ill have to fab a dodge shifter to fit. or if either one of those will even work. maybe even have to go the custom floor shifter route. like i said, never tackled anything like this so im startin from scratch.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Diesel Wrench

i was asking how the nissan column shifter is hooked up, is it electric? or have a linkage?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Diesel Fan

i was asking how the nissan column shifter is hooked up, is it electric? or have a linkage?
Ill have to check that however im pretty sure its a linkage. Pretty positive actually.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Diesel Wrench

if its linkage shouldn't be too hard to hook up to the dodge linkage with a little creative thinking

Quick Reply: Manual to Auto questions?