12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Need opinions on stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need opinions on stock springs

Im rebuilding a truck right now and Im about to put the front axle back under the chassis and I wasnt sure on what springs I should put in. The springs that were originally under the frame were stiff as hell. When it was just the axles and suspension on the frame I tried bouncing it and it was so stiff only the tires flexed and made the axle hop off the ground, no suspension compression! I also have a set off my donor truck that are soft and actually compress, but I dont want too soft were It bottoms going over a few bumps....

Does anyone have any advice??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

By the way Im referring to the front springs.

Last edited by Sudia247; 08-11-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A 12 valve engine weighs right around 1k lbs so the springs are going to be really stiff with the engine out.

Last edited by South Tx Coal Roller; 08-11-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by South Tx Coal Roller
A 12 valve engine weighs right around 1k lbs so the springs are going to be really stiff with the engine out.
But even with the engine in, the front end was really stiff.. Both truck I have had the engine out when I tested them. One didnt flex at all and the other truck compressed a couple inches when id really try bouncing it. both are regular cab long bed with a 12v. I dont see why one would be so much stiffer if there from the same truck, same spring size and everything.

Im not sure which one I want to put in..

Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Springs wear out and get soft with use. The ones you found compressing more were just worn more. If I was building a truck from the ground up I'd install new progressive coils from one of the reputable distributors of those items, Kore, Carli, Thuren.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Springs wear out and get soft with use. The ones you found compressing more were just worn more. If I was building a truck from the ground up I'd install new progressive coils from one of the reputable distributors of those items, Kore, Carli, Thuren.
Yea I definitely would put some Carli spring in but Im already dropping enough cash into this truck, Im only rebuilding it because I rolled it and thought Id make it nice since im tearing a lot down anyways. So im gonna keep some spring for now, what would you think, should i put in the soft ones now or the stiffer ones till i get new progressive springs?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

If they came from the same or similar model trucks and I wasn't sure when I'd be upgrading them, I'd keep the stiffer (less worn) ones.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
If they came from the same or similar model trucks and I wasn't sure when I'd be upgrading them, I'd keep the stiffer (less worn) ones.
x2

Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

x2
Even if I dont tow that often and drive off road half the time?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Springs won't get stiffer over time, only softer. Too soft of a spring will make the front end feel spongy, can cause you to bottom out on or off road, and just make the truck handy poorly all around.

I went and jumped up and down on my front bumper eariler and the springs barely moved at all (I'm 230lbs btw) and it rides fine down the road. Not exactly a scientific test but you get my point Lol.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Springs won't get stiffer over time, only softer. Too soft of a spring will make the front end feel spongy, can cause you to bottom out on or off road, and just make the truck handy poorly all around.

I went and jumped up and down on my front bumper eariler and the springs barely moved at all (I'm 230lbs btw) and it rides fine down the road. Not exactly a scientific test but you get my point Lol.
Yea that makes sense. Thanks for jumping on your bumper to too see. Im 210 so it sounds like those are my stiff springs, I was just thinking they were **** or something, but your logic makes sense. Thanks, Ill be putting in the stiffer ones then.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on stock springs