12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

just rebuilt tranny and its still fuxked please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just rebuilt tranny and its still fuxked please help

So we just rebuilt my tranny all new clutches and seal goerend 3d converter bf flexplate hts vb tcs billet input and output and tcs front servo suncoast extreme master rebuild kit hts valve body and suncoast gmbillet gov sol. filled it up and theres no drive it goes in park and reverse and engages firm and strong I checked the fluid level adjusted the bands to spec does any one have a clue what it might be . I'm going to be pulling it out soon and looking any ideas though? i put a different vb in it to see if maybe a piston in the vb was stuck or sonething but it did the same thing I checked the linkage its shifting the vb and definately aligned

Old 07-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 144 Likes on 130 Posts

It has reverse? and nothing else??? did you try each gear manually? did you try to slightly overfill it? it could be air bound. Is there a loud screech? that is what air in the valve body sounds like. Did you fill the converter first? How long did you let it run???

Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Put a quart in the converter to start tried each gear manually and there is no loud screeching I don't think its over filled would that cause it not to go in drive? I'd have to doubke check i might be on the higher side but wudnt i get some engagement if it was overfilled? Thanks

Last edited by dipapadakis; 07-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 144 Likes on 130 Posts

I said that because sometimes I overfill a new trans on purpose because when it starts pumping the fluid the level will drop quick, I've always filled the converter till it wouldn't hold any more then installed it, again how long did it run, might take a few minutes to get the air out of the converter, always overfill it to be on the safe side then you can drain a little off once it is up and running.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

O yea thats what we did we filled it then topped it off we let it run for at the least 5 minutes

Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 PM

I believe that if you leave the large clip seal off the input shaft it will cause this. there are three of those clips on the shaft and its the large one nearest the bottom of the shaft. just an idea. I've seen it a couple of times.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

100% sure i put new seals on the shaft...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

any ideas HTS said it sounds like something to do with the shift cable?

Last edited by dipapadakis; 07-11-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Wasn't shift cable any help on things yo look for when pulling apart this is my first rebuild please help all suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated