12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

electric seat advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default electric seat advice needed

so i have been out there for a hour and a half trying to figure this out with no luck! the motor that makes seat go forward and back works. only one side comes forward so the seat is in a bind. so the threaded rod on one side moves but other side is not turning. nothing is in the channel holding it up. any ideas?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha funny my seat is the same way. i also tried to figure it out also but had no luck. the only oprion i thought of was to get a new motor but decided it would not be worth the money because the seat is stuck in the right position for me to drive. good luck

Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah mine is like almost all the way back. still no luck.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Guy's,if you haven't figured it out yet,the wormgears that turn the threaded rods are made of nylon,and overtime the stress of moving the seat,breaks the gears.
It's a poor design (my opinion) and to make it worse the parts to repair are not available.
A machine shop can make replacements (I had mine made from aluminum) but it's not cheap.Finding them in a salvage yard is possible,but expect to buy the whole seat.
The rod thats broken can be disconnected from the frame,and the seat can be adjusted,just don't move it while your sitting in it.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah my motor is fine the rod just does not move! how do you disconnect? not alot of room in there. thanks for your input.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Diesel Fan

There's 4 bolts that hold the seat to the frame,when the seat is out it's easier to get to the pins that hold the wormgear assembly in place. Look right below the pivot points in the front of the frame and you'll see the roll pin that secures the drive rod to the seat rail.Punch the roll pin out and the drive rod will drop down.look about halfway down the bottom of the seat rail and remove the t-50 torx bolt,and slide the assembly forward. Once you have it out,remove the metal retainers from the ends of the black plastic covers and inside are the wormgears. The one that will be stripped is the large ball gear.
Once you have the bad assembly out you can move the seat with the one side that still works,just don't move it while you sitting in it. Good luck!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

You'll have to excuse me,I'm an old man and tend to repeat myself!

Last edited by Only1*; 07-11-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah i removed the seat bolts then realized i have a bench seat so the whole mother comes out. no one around to give me a hand and yeah could not find my t-50 so i need to get one. thanks so much for your help. i will be pulling it as having the seat all the way back sucks!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Your seat should be a 40/20/40 if it's electric.You only need to take the drivers seat out.4 Bolts go thru the frame into the lower cushion.The 2 in the back can be a pain in the A$$ to get to.If the heighth will raise to max it helps. Your right....it sucks,unless your licence say's 6'6" or better.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by lodal cummins
so i have been out there for a hour and a half trying to figure this out with no luck! the motor that makes seat go forward and back works. only one side comes forward so the seat is in a bind. so the threaded rod on one side moves but other side is not turning. nothing is in the channel holding it up. any ideas?
have u taken seat off ? if not its hard to see whats goin on, raise seet up as far as posible a#13 1/4in drive short socet will remove seat from tracks . take off switch reatach to conector and see it all happen sorry no reel answers . hope its an easy fix .

Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

no the whole bench has to come out as there are rivets that are connected to the cross support that attaches to the seats from the center consol. if that makes any sense?????

Quick Reply: electric seat advice needed