12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Help me new to 12 valve!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me new to 12 valve!!

So I have been over heating the search option on my computer to find nothing but the same results... But in diff. Format !! I'm looking to make 600-650hp to tow my crawler and drive it daily... I know guys please hang in there with me..
My story is this the rig has well had 238k on the motor as about a week ago the KDP decided to kill and in the result of that I have a broken cam gear and cam, timing cover and case, and well 6 bent exh valves and 6 exh push rods... Yeah can y'all fill me in how this happens? I know kdp but broken cam and bent valves and such.. Needless to say I pulled the motor and it's off to the machine shop getting a .20 over and marine pistons I just need help with the HP part of the help
So PLEASE let the best ones throw your ideas out there!!!!! I'm willing to listen and learn
This is what I have so far to bolt on and install
AIR: 66-71-14 htt gated, afe magnum intake, custom built "by me" intake manifold and plate, maybe equal length header? 60# springs ,
Fuel : new era 200hp injectors I think 6x..? , 093 lines, full cut DV, high flow holders, 4kgsk, p7100 at 22* , 100 plate , afc spring kit, air dog??
Exh:5" TB
Motor overhaul with .20 over bore marine fly cut coated pistons, balanced rotating assembly , polished crank, hemilton street cam, billet push tubes, studs, ringed, marine HG..
I think this Is all let me know what yall would change up about this I'm hoping to make about 600hp on the rollers
PLEASE any input would help thanks every one
So please guys help me out

Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

mabey twin turbos

Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Diesel Fan

Well twins would be one way to do it but I'm not sure if I need twins I'm hoping I have enough other upgrades to reach my goal

Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

66/74-13 and a bunch of fuel. You won't want to tow a lawn mower with it though.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Diesel Fan

Mean to tell me I need more fuel then that ?? And smaller turbo ?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts

I think you listed plenty of fuel to get you to 600. If you're going to be towing, I would say definately go with twins.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Diesel Fan

I would like to go with twins I would just have he'll of a time tuning them like my last set keep the info coming guys thanks for the pointers

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I know there 12 valve heads on here that could point me the 650ish HP way !?!?

Last edited by Get_ER_Cummin; 05-02-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts

Back on the subject of the KDP, I know you had asked how it could cause such destruction. Here are the three options of scenarios that can happen when the KDP comes out, stolen from a post by Whit

Option number one: you get extremely lucky and the pin falls through the maze of cam, crank, and injection-pump gears and lands harmlessly in the oil pan or on the bottom of the gear housing-and nothing happens. Total cost for repairs: $0.

Option number two: the pin falls, and it comes in contact with the cam gear and smashes into the gear housing on the front of your engine. When this happens, it is steel versus aluminum-and steel wins out. The housing will crack open or lose a big chunk right where the dowel pin was forced into the housing. If this happens, you'll wake up the next morning and notice the Exxon Valdez in your driveway. Your total repair bill, including labor, will be approximately $1,000.

Option number three is the killer: the pin falls and munches up the cam gear or breaks it off completely. The valves will then smack into the pistons, creating a junkyard in your combustion chambers. Scraping metal doesn't work nearly as well as #2 diesel, and this can take out your heads, valves, and pistons-and possibly your engine block, making it impossible to overbore and rebuild. If this happens, there are almost no parts you can salvage, and your only option is to either to sell the truck for parts or pick up a new engine to the tune of at least a few thousands bucks. When option number three happens, you'll be left stranded on the side of the road.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Well I can tell my scenario wasn't #1 or #2 but not as bad as #3 I wish I could post some pix so everyone can see... Let me try can y'all let me know if it posts!! Please

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Get_ER_Cummin; 05-02-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Diesel Fan

Come on guys I know there is more I should know... Help me out here any info would be greatly appriciated

Quick Reply: Help me new to 12 valve!!