12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

problems after p pump swap

Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default problems after p pump swap

ever since i swaped p pump on to my 93 i been having problems. when first got it running it popping and white smokeing and i bumped the timing some and fixed it. now a few weeks ago it started dieing on me right after start it up. it starts then runs fine for a little bit then starts studdering and dies then has hard time starting back up and runs crappy till throttle it some. i though maybe the timing slipped to i pulled the gear and sprayed break cleaner on the shaft and gear hole and blowed compressed air on it and bumped it a lil more then installed the gear. now when you start the truck it still dies and it idles differnt now. truck been sitting in the shop for about a week while i fixed my tranny and started it today and it died, started it back up and it hazes white/gray smoke at idle. drove it out the road and truck blows white smoke till the engine gets some heat into it. and still has a gray tint to it. im not sure what my problem is. i thought it was timing but ive fooled with it and still wont run right. truck seem to be alot faster and ran better after last time i bumped it. kinda think might be losing prime but not sure. any thoughts? every thing was changed over has a 215 pump off a 97 had local pump guy put another gov assmebly in it cause previous one was junk, also has 4 k gov springs, cut dv's, custom ground plate. injectors are used set of sposedly marines i got in the deal with the pump. running piston lift pump, 97 fuel filter housing, lines and all that.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

when you set the timing, did you set it with the gauge?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

no i just bumped the engine back some to advance it. i know i need a gauge but at the moment i aint got 140 bucks to buy one.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing. Running like garbage and would die. check your transfer pump pressure with a gauge.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

check the lift pump and also check the pressure relief valve on the return line on the pump, sounds like your starving for fuel some, get the fuel issue resolved and then set your idel speed....

Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i wanted to just put a airdog on it and not fool with all the stock crap for this very reason but 500 dollars is hard to come by at the moment. what do yyou mean pressure relief valve im not sure where thats at? aint no valve it the return line that i know of.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

well i think i found the problem the return line had a bad kink in it and it was leaking some at the fitting where i went from the metal line to the plastic think i got it all fixed. but i still think my timing is off though

Last edited by FIRST GEN. JAKE; 04-29-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Pressure relief is built into the banjo bolt on the return of the pump.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i thought maybe thats what he was refering to

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had same problem and it turned out being the fuel cylinoid was not opeaning all the way.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

not the case here cause i have no fuel solinoid it has pull cable on it and spring, pretty positive its returning to run postion as it should. il double check it though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problems after p pump swap