12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Stalling issue, and fuel plate question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalling issue, and fuel plate question.

Hey guys, I bought a 1997 2wd dodge cummins for 5k from a buddy, 125k miles. when i go to start it (any temp outside) it idles rough and i need to give it just a little bit of fuel to keep it going for about 3 mins then it will run fine. The guy i got it from showed me a little like relay or solenoid and told me that was the problem. sorry i dont know what it was called. But i was woundering if any of you knew, it never stalls after i give it 3 mins but if i let off the pedal in the 3 mins it will die.

2nd question, i was reading the thread about opening the fuel plate with the star-screw and they said it give about 50hp, i was just woundering how much of a good idea it would be with the stock tranny i would like the extra power but i dont wanna hurt the tranny , i plan on rebuilding the tranny someday.

thanks for any help sorry for spelling/grammer.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
BRE
Diesel Wrench
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

It sounds like all you need to do is turn the idle up. Where does it idle when it idles on its own.

If the truck is an auto i wouldnt touch anything till the trans is taken care of. But thats just me.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by BRE
It sounds like all you need to do is turn the idle up. Where does it idle when it idles on its own.

If the truck is an auto i wouldnt touch anything till the trans is taken care of. But thats just me.
after i give it just a little bit of gas (i know its diesel) for a cupple mins on start up the idle is perfect and runs fine, its just on start up it idles funky. its at like 700-800rpm's after i help it run, its at about 400-500 when i first start it and it wants to die

Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds normal in cold weather but not in any weather. the solenoid is cheap to replace so I would start there.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you starting problem could be a intake heater but not sure on that and dont do any mods intill you do something with that trans even 50hp will start giving you problems in the trans i have a 96 and my auto was always giving me problems after i starting puting mods on it

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 AM
BRE
Diesel Wrench

Sounds like a normal 12v to me.They all idle low in cold weather but mine will idle real low before it actually dies.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with stock auto you want to leave the idle low, you can turn up idle to cure the cold idle prob but then it will want to move with out your foot on gas. it it bothers you try turning up idle just a tad. If your cylinoid is hanging up you will have low hp. to check just start truck and reach down and pull fuel lever it should be all the way opean.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by pukie370
with stock auto you want to leave the idle low, you can turn up idle to cure the cold idle prob but then it will want to move with out your foot on gas. it it bothers you try turning up idle just a tad. If your cylinoid is hanging up you will have low hp. to check just start truck and reach down and pull fuel lever it should be all the way opean.
can you explain that a little better on how to test it. Also i was wrong befor When i first start it (any weather) it wants to idle at like 250-300 and dies if i take my foot off the pedal it will die, when its warm it idles at 500. one time ive seen it idleing at 700.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 AM
BRE
Diesel Wrench

When it warms you say it idles at 500... The idle needs to be turned up some. I think the exact number is like 780 is what the "book" calls for. It simply sounds like the idle needs to be turned up.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BRE
When it warms you say it idles at 500... The idle needs to be turned up some. I think the exact number is like 780 is what the "book" calls for. It simply sounds like the idle needs to be turned up.
What he said. Idle for an auto should be 750-800 in drive with the a/c on.

Quick Reply: Stalling issue, and fuel plate question.