12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Rebuilt transmission slipping need help fast! 47rh

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt transmission slipping need help fast! 47rh

Transmission was slipping so I pulled it out and put a rebuild kit in it replacing all the clutches becides the overdrive clutches, Put in a new performance valve body and a single disc converter good to 850lbs of torque. It goes in to gear just fine and seems to shift ok but still feels like the rpms are going up much faster then the truck is going, I can still hold the breaks on and spin the tires but just does not feel rite. What could be causing this problem? I have never rebuild a transmission before so its my first time, I also added a hughes bigger transmission pan. I have a total of 21 quarts of fluid in it, I made the mistake of mixing fluid as I miss read it, It has half +4 and half type F not sure if this would be a problem but other places said it was fine on the internet. Please give me some sugestions of what this could be. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

id change that fluid its not best idea to mix types.did you also put in a shift kit?it could just be that the new tranny aint broken in yet & your not used to it yet

Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok were is the slip and how bad is it? What gears are affected? I wouldn't mix fluid either put 1n type f or atf+4. Type f is a harsher fluid and will firm up the shift. Atf+4 has quit a few friction modifiers and is neccesary in the front wheel drive dodge units but the rear wheel drives aren't as picky.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

20 quarts is the correct amount of fluid, so your okay there. I believe they suggest you use ATF +4, but you may or may not be able to get away with something else...

Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replys! I took it for a test drive down the road and it seems to shift fine when going easy but when I matt it out is does not seem to want to shift.....TV cable adjustment? This is my first cummins so im learning. I also installed a #0 plate with the correct boost fitting and a 4" turbo back stack exhaust. When I matt it out is seems to slip but does gain speed but will still spin the tires. Like I said it does have a new valve body that has been built up I got from trans_converters off ebay and the single disc converter thats supost to be good up to 850TQ. I agree with the fluid mix although I believe type F is made to mix with others, I dont want to change it but dont believe that would be causing the slip although who knows what it can do in the future. How would you drain the converter if I did change it? I have not tried locking up the converter or turning overdrive on as I have them both on a switch, waiting on a front bumper as im painting the truck as we speak. If you guys need any more info just ask as any and all help will be greatley apreciated. Sorry about the spelling I can build anything I put my mind to but when it comes to school not so much.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anglesmith,

The TV cable adjustment is very important, and easier to do with the instructions than it is to write them. Get a manual if you don't have one.

And, check your Throttle Position Sensor, mine went bad and messed up the shifts. Ended up replacing it with a variable resistor in the cab. Just Google TPS elimination.

Also, I run 1/3 ATF+4 and 2/3 hydraulic/transmission oil +/-.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Diesel Fan

TV cable is a huge adjustment. It's not hard to do and makes all the difference in the world. I actually forgot it when i rebuilt the engine in my 360 ram and it slipped really bad from 2nd to 3rd and pretty bad from 1st to 2nd. If you are recently rebuilt and it still slips I'd try to adjust it first.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Diesel Fan
Default Thanks for the help from everyone

I figured out its not really slipping I was just nervous as it was my first transmission build and what seemed like slipping was just the new parts im assuming as it seems to rev higher before it starts to go and must be the torque converter I installed, I pulled a loaded trailer with my 67 mustang on it up a steep hill and it went no problem. So it appears that its just fine, The 0 fuel plate made a good diffrence in power for the $28 I spent, Thanks for everyones help who gave there input as im new to the diesel thing as I bought my first diesel almost a year ago now which was a 99 power stroke but I like the cummins a lot more much better sound and runs so much better then the electronicley controlled 7.3. Sorry for the spelling and ill be back when I need more help.

~Ansel

Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by anselsmith
I figured out its not really slipping I was just nervous as it was my first transmission build and what seemed like slipping was just the new parts im assuming as it seems to rev higher before it starts to go and must be the torque converter I installed, I pulled a loaded trailer with my 67 mustang on it up a steep hill and it went no problem. So it appears that its just fine, The 0 fuel plate made a good diffrence in power for the $28 I spent, Thanks for everyones help who gave there input as im new to the diesel thing as I bought my first diesel almost a year ago now which was a 99 power stroke but I like the cummins a lot more much better sound and runs so much better then the electronicley controlled 7.3. Sorry for the spelling and ill be back when I need more help.

~Ansel
Should've spent 0$ and made it yourself

But i'm happy that your tranny is holding up... cranking your starwheel will also make a big difference as it helps with spooling your turbo quicker...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Diesel Fan

I wasnt sure how to make it my self at the time but its a nice piece as its machined from a solid piece of steel and came with screws and a boost restrictior to b ring the boost up, As for the star wheel I did crank it up but not sure how far it goes as it seems as it still spins but dosnt go any further, Spools up pretty fast and the smoke clears up quick. As I said im new to this I figured spending the money would be better then me messing it up although I see how simple it is now. Thanks for the input and any more advice to get more cheap power from this thing is greatley apreciated. Sorry for the spelling.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt transmission slipping need help fast! 47rh