12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12 Valve to 24 Valve Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
find you a 24v truck that has a blowed up motor you can get for cheap....
Ya i've explored that option, just havnt found anything for a decent price, prob gonna end up trying to sell the 24V. What does it take to get that thing running outside of a truck??

Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

I though he was putting the 24v head on his 12v ... my bad

Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Diesel Fan

id do a p-pump swap it would prolly be cheaper then buying all the wiring i have a 180hp p pump that came out of my truck when i went to 13mm id give it to u for 600 bucks it worked fine just needed more fuel and i also have a brand new set of 150hp injectors that are made for a p pump 24v swap so u dont have to change the pistons.. they are made so the spray angle sprays in the piston bowl just like a factory injector would maybe this will help u but he is right its ALOT of work to put a 24v in a 12v shell cuz of all the wiring and 94 12v is also right if u dont have the injectors like i got and u wanna run a stock set with a p pump u are gunna need pistons and u will need lines for the swap i dont have them but i can get a nice set of stainles lines for u again hope it helps

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by justin c
id do a p-pump swap it would prolly be cheaper then buying all the wiring i have a 180hp p pump that came out of my truck when i went to 13mm id give it to u for 600 bucks it worked fine just needed more fuel and i also have a brand new set of 150hp injectors that are made for a p pump 24v swap so u dont have to change the pistons.. they are made so the spray angle sprays in the piston bowl just like a factory injector would maybe this will help u but he is right its ALOT of work to put a 24v in a 12v shell cuz of all the wiring and 94 12v is also right if u dont have the injectors like i got and u wanna run a stock set with a p pump u are gunna need pistons and u will need lines for the swap i dont have them but i can get a nice set of stainles lines for u again hope it helps
Thanks Ill keep in mind

Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

if you have the donor truck swap out the dash and everything, then it will be the newer style. all you would have to do is pull the harness out of the donor and put it in the 96. the nice thing about cummins is that the harness is easily removed from the truck! i did it all on mine, don't know why it would be any harder to just put it in a new truck. plus while you have the dash out all the wiring would be a piece of cake, its all right there available! i say go for it, whats the worst that could happen?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by turbostang7
if you have the donor truck swap out the dash and everything, then it will be the newer style. all you would have to do is pull the harness out of the donor and put it in the 96. the nice thing about cummins is that the harness is easily removed from the truck! i did it all on mine, don't know why it would be any harder to just put it in a new truck. plus while you have the dash out all the wiring would be a piece of cake, its all right there available! i say go for it, whats the worst that could happen?
What was your project?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

i went from a manual to an auto, the wiring harness i had had 300k on it and i picked one up that only had 90k so i figured what the heck might as well swap it all out . i had to swap the clusters and everything for it to work too. wasn't bad and im no electrician! the only thing i have issues with is the cruise controll doesn't work and havn't had a chance to look into it yet. i realy don't see why there would be a huge issue with swapping it, just time and patience is all you need! with a little research and mechanical know how you can make it work easily. the harness is not as complicated as it seems, it is more of a mental issue than actually doing it, just have to jump in and tackle it.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P-pump conversion might not necessarily cheaper, if you have to find a pump, and timing cover and the list goes on

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Diesel Fan

idk if it would be cheaper but prolly atleast come damn near close by the time u get the harness and all the other little b.s things and a ecu i have everything he needs to do it except the front cover and lines and the pump that i have isnt exactly stock but still borderlined streetable

Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts

why the would you want to put a 24 valve POS in it when you can have the P7100 12valve in it with it's "tuneabilty" for less :?:

Trade the 24v for a 12v

I've only spent money on a clutch, valvesprings and exhaust... cheapest horsepower EVER !!!

Last edited by angelic0-; 03-08-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 12 Valve to 24 Valve Swap