12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

front axle wrap

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

change your bottom links on the 4 link to 3 gen links, there fully boxed opposed to the 2nd gen style

Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 12valve
change your bottom links on the 4 link to 3 gen links, there fully boxed opposed to the 2nd gen style
they will be a direct fit? will this also solve my problem of the link bar itself being to short?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by big bad diesel 416
well ya we have I do them in the mystery truck BUT....

I ONLY DO THEM ON THE DRAG STRIP

not just for fun in my front yard only abuse it when you have to because it may leave you hoofin it when you need it the most
well since everybody is criticizing me ill just go ahead and give the whole backstory to this that i was trying to avoid since its long and boring. My truck came with a 4" lift that the previous owner installed all by myself, and left everything loose, from the Pitman arm to the link arm bolts. i had a clunk in the front end and i figured out that jerking the truck up the driveway would make it produce the clunk so i could figure out what it was. turned out the lower link barts bolt on with a cam bolt to adjust your castor or pinion angle, they were loose so my axle was twisting or "adjusting" itself freely weather i was in 4x4 or not, it made the front end clunk every time i pulled out of the driveway, when you watched the front wheels you could see the front axle moving forward and back. so after after i adjusted the cam bolts and tightened them up i wanted to test it, it solved my problem completely as far as the clunk, obviously no problems in 2wd. i figured id push it to the limit and do it in 4x4 to see if everything was as solid as id like because i have been known to launch the truck in 4x4 before. i didn't expect to see the axle twist so much, thus i made this thread...

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 12-07-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

ah ha you should have posted that to begin with because now there is a reason behind it

alot of people will read your original post and go "haha dumb kids" and move on its kinda like posting a "how do I make my truck smoke thread" you will get alot of crap over it

but being that there is a technical side to it then there is reason to read and help you with your issue

and as said above replace with the full box 3rd gen ones thats a start but these setups do move alot so if its not clunking I would not worry too much

Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ah ha you should have posted that to begin with because now there is a reason behind it

alot of people will read your original post and go "haha dumb kids" and move on its kinda like posting a "how do I make my truck smoke thread" you will get alot of crap over it

but being that there is a technical side to it then there is reason to read and help you with your issue

and as said above replace with the full box 3rd gen ones thats a start but these setups do move alot so if its not clunking I would not worry too much
well the story behind why im launching the truck is long and boring and quite honestly i am a dumb kid who wants to launch the truck in 4x4 either way . i see what your saying tho, the way my post is written makes it hard to understand that i am legitimately concerned and looking for a fix.

but anyway, what do you guys mean by full box? im thinking building my own lower bars seem to be the best option since the lower link bar needs to be a little longer and the 3rd gen bars are the same length(or are they?). im thinking some dom tubing and some heim joints would solve my problems, i am a certified welder so im always down to build rather then buy parts.

the main question that i wanted to answer is about the actual geometry of the stock 4 link. i was thinking that the geometry of these link bars just causes the axles pinion angle to differ as the suspension cycles down and the way my cheep lift kit works its just over extending the bars past the area they are designed to travel in possibly causing an even greater difference in pinion angle at full droop.

its hard to explain what im trying to ask but basically im thinking its one of 2 things. 1, as stated above, when the suspension is at full droop the pinion angle is greatly different then at ride height do to poor geometry, when you nail the gas the front end reaches full droop(nearly pulls a wheelie) and this is what im seeing, not actual "axle wrap". or 2, i am actually getting axle wrap, the axle is wrapping from the power being transfered through it and possibly worn bushings. the reason i really need to know which of the 2 is my issue is because one requires me to change the geometry of the suspension(longer lower link bars) and the other requires me to change the bushings out and hope for the best, maybe its both, maybe its neither, maybe the link bars themself bow and give... im asking you guys to give me your opinion, is it pretty much normal on these trucks to have loose front ends? do you guys experience front axle hop when your offroading? im just confused here because the truck just seems absolutely no better then a leaf sprung truck, i didn't expect to see this from a 4 link setup... maybe i shouldn't have expected so much from a truck that comes from the factory with blocks in the rear!

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 12-08-2010 at 01:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
big bad diesel 416 (12-08-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

awe what do you mean 10PSI in 4X4 3rd gear? LMAO
you need at least 20 to 25 for a 3rd gear launch, trust me i know

Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy355mark
you guys on the diesel bombers forum have never heard of a 4x4 launch? have any of you been to the drag strip? when you wanna get a good time theres no choice, either dump the clutch in 2wd, twist the rear axle and blow the tires off or put it in 4x4 and cut a good 60ft time. theres really nothing wrong with a 4x4 launch, i just need to know how to get the axle wrap to stop, a 4 link setup really shouldn't have problems like this. i think it has to do with poor geometry of the 4 link, but id like to see if anyone else has had this problem before i go and build a set of lower link bars.
You realize that there are SEVERAL owners on this forum with a few thousand horsepower trucks that drag race and sled pull right? With that being said, I'm pretty sure people know how to launch a truck.

Last edited by 85_305; 12-09-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

the 3rd gen links are the same length as the 2nd gen style, there just fully boxed opposed to the 2nd gen styly thats only half. Sounds like your gonna need a linger link if the pinion angle is that off

Also I don't think anyone whom has posted in this thread has a 1,000 hp truck, I know I sure dont

Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm only at 999.9

Old 12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 12valve
the 3rd gen links are the same length as the 2nd gen style, there just fully boxed opposed to the 2nd gen styly thats only half. Sounds like your gonna need a linger link if the pinion angle is that off

Also I don't think anyone whom has posted in this thread has a 1,000 hp truck, I know I sure dont
Meant forum not thread

Quick Reply: front axle wrap