12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Timing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing???

First off, is it easy to change the timing on my 98 12v? If so coould anyone describbe to me how...maybe with a few pictures? I know cummin engines fairly well...but a good description would be great! Thanks a ton...

Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not sure about on a p pump but on my ve all i had to do was loosen the bolts holding the pump and then twist the pump towards the head. i went till the pump was touching the block but sense you have a different pump from what i read 16 degrees is where you want it.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

dang on a ve you do the timing like a gasser twisting the distributer cap .wish the p pump was that easy. if you have the tools and have time i hear its pretty straight forward but idk have not done it

Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Diesel Fan

Ya I am planning on going to 16.5...Ya i just need a general idea of were and what to do once i get there! Thanks...I heard it helps with fuel milage and after taking my fuel plate and afc arm out I saw a 4mpg increase so i am curious to see what the timing does???

Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Diesel Fan

you said you removed your fuel plate and afc arm. could you explain i would like to try that.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Diesel Fan

First off, fill out your sig so we can see what you got! Second, do you have gauges?

Now take the afc housing off and remove the fuel plate, the plate is under two flat head screws. The afc housing is held on by 4 bolts and one on the back side you can just back off to get the afc out. One is a breakoff bolt...It can be a really headache to get out but if the have that done already I wont describe that. There will also be a boost line attached on the afc housing and that is easy to take off.

The afc arm will be attached inside of the afc housing you took off...now take the (I think its a 8mm or possible a 10mm) bolt out, and take the little shaft out that was held in there by the bolt and the afc arm will just fall out. The little shaft is in there pretty tight so you might have to use a screw driver to work it out. put the shaft and 8mm bolt back in and the afc housing back on, connect the boost line back on, and you will be good!!! It will add a lot of black smoke if you want it, but also add milage if you take it easy!!!

You can also look it up on utube and there is a good video on there or also look up New England Turbo Diesel Power and they have pics of the afc arm and fuel plate.

I am no teacher but thats the best I can do!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHoward
First off, is it easy to change the timing on my 98 12v? If so coould anyone describbe to me how...maybe with a few pictures? I know cummin engines fairly well...but a good description would be great! Thanks a ton...
You are not timing the engine - your timing the p pump.

No its not very easy. You need special tools and some skill.

Have you fixed your Killer Dowel Pin? Its a good idea to do the KDP and retime it at the same time as the timing cover will be off.

A How to: TSB 18-10-94 Rev. A

Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Diesel Fan

Dont mean to steal the thread... Is there any downsides to adjusting the timing? One thing in life I have found is nothings 100% perfect and everything has to have a downside...
A diesel freak of mine said that it risks the pistons....was he talking the plungers in the p7100 or the engine pistons?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 12-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks a ton!

Quick Reply: Timing???