12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

anybody else ever had this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
Default anybody else ever had this issue?

i bought my truck... batterys were NAPA gold.. they were 2 years old according to the date punched out on the top, they lasted about 6 months then i would come out to start it and it would just slow crank till i had to eventually jump it.. so i went and bought 2 new duralast gold batterys.... 6 months later... they wont start the truck if the truck sits for more then 36 hrs. i have checked several times for a draw on the batterys and there is NO draw at all. could it be that i am just getting bad batterys? i have checked the cables at both ends.. they are fine... any ideas?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also the altanator tested good

Last edited by monster12valve; 11-17-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought 2 batteries fer the Duster,and same deal. Turns out, Napa had a bad run on batteries, not sayin that's your problem, but it does happen.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes new don't mean perfect..

Old 11-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the truck charging? Voltage regulator could be bad. Bad part is that the voltage regulator is in the Computer... You can bypass it with a standard voltage regulator, though. Think it's just 2 wires. The PCM won't know the difference, anyway.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it crank. Or just click. I just replaced the contacts on my starter and mine fired right up. Search Cummins starter rebuild. They were only 30 bucks.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

yea it cranks.... just real slow after she sits for a couple days.. diesel pap has an idea and i think he may be right... the switch for the grid heater is cycleing the grid heater.. because it didnt start happening till it started dropping temp at night now that u think about it.. so i unhooked it and we will wait a couple days and see if she fire's!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

What voltage do you have at the batteries?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

im not sure.. i took the alt off and had it tested and it tested good. had the batterys tested and they tested bad. they are replaceing them free cause there under warranty but i dont think the batterys are the issue. i cant see 2 brand new batterys being bad. i think somthing is kicking on and draining them i will test voltage in the morning and let you no.. thanks again for eveybody who is taking time to help me

Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

not hijacking your thread but i have the SAME problem. i was just gunna start a thread. my truck did this last year, now this summer, one of my batteries tested bad, i bought 2 brand new batteries, and the truck started just fine all summer and with warm weather. its getting cold here too. the grid heaters have been running for about the last two weeks, my truck sat for a few days while i fixed my tranny, went to start it, slow cranked for about 1 revolution and died. i was p%&^$ off. i just pulled out my two batteries and brought them inside to charge them both up where its warm. im gunna load test my batteries and alternator tommorow at school. but im in the same boat as you. new batteries, and now that the weathers colder its causing problems. even when it started fine, when it started the volt guage would read super low(like at the first line) untill you got up to aout 30mph then i would go up. if the alternator and batteries are good. im putting in a new voltage regulator. and unhooking the grip heaters to see if its fixed. did you just unhook the wires at the heaters? sorry if it seemed like i hijaked. just didnt want to start the same thread. i hope we can figure this out

Old 11-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Diesel Bomber

yea i disconnected the wire going to it. i am gonna try it tonight after work and see if it slow cranks or not. also about your gauge... mine does the EXACT same.. the needle is at the first line then goes up to normal after i drive for a mile or so.,, i will let you know as soon as i see if the grid heater is causing it or not. also... dude your truck looks sick! what size lift and tires are those?

Quick Reply: anybody else ever had this issue?