12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Lift pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok cool I need to get my tranny checked =/ I have no idea what condition it's in

Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt there is anything wrong with factory lift pump. I thaught the same so i got a airdog 150 and i HATE it. Dont know how but duel mileage went fromm 22 to 15-16 and thats all i did at the time so thats the only thing that could have droped it. I tried adjusting pressure, star wheel, and even put plate back in for a bit and nothing helped. I WOULD NOT GET AIR DOG!!! If u want to change fuel filters easy get filter housing and fitings to put it on frame like i did. Only thing nice about electric pump is u turn the key and it fills filter when chaning.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM

a stock lift pump is perfect for any truck that will be driven on the street . all it has to do is keep the filter full and it takes a lot of hp to drain that filter . If you want smoke take out the fuel plate completely move afc full forward , your tranny will be fine , my daily driver has 468000 with original tranny .

Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Question #1 - (to BWS 86) Not exactly sure how an Airdog could make your MPG worse, even if it tried really hard (unless you hooked something up wrong). It just can't do it, that I know of. Can someone enlighten me if this is even possible?

Question #2 - (to Dude_57) Why would a grown man (just assuming that you are, correct me if I'm wrong here) WANT smoke to pour out of the pipe? Afterall, it IS unburned fuel that comprises the majority of that black smoke, if not ALL OF IT. That "cool factor" wears out really quick when you are either at the gas station throwing your paycheck into the tank, or see people looking at you, shaking their heads and snickering at you.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Dude_57, I just want to appolize for my past assumption. I see now from your profile that you are only 19 years old, and a firefighter! These both would explain your obsesion for "wasting money to make people think that you look cool" and "smoke".

Last edited by North Pole Hooker; 07-07-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Diesel Fan

I dont know how it would make my mileage worse either but it wet down as soon as i put it on. I dont know how u could put it on wrong. I wish i knew what happened to milage if anyone does please let me know. Thanks

Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol I never said pour out smoke only when I mash on it. I drive it like a grandma north pole hooker. But of course everyone gets froggy ya know? An every once in awhile you just wanna show that gas
Engine dodge hemi you ain't messin around and thank you 94smokewagon. And how many miles did you have on it when you removed the fuel plate?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Thanks b w 6 I been looking all around about the air dog

Last edited by Dude_57; 07-08-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not hear to many good things about air dog. FASS pumps are a little more money but you get what you pay for. Watch out with moving the fuel plate stock trannys dont like that. Do a search on here alot of advice about AFC and fuel plate adjusting.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Banned
Received 3,297 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Default Re: Lift pump questions

What? First I've ever heard that

Air dog is miles ahead of fass , I have never heard anything bad about airdog

All fass is , is the first airdog

Airdogs are quiter and have longer life spans and are smaller in size because of advances in the design

These are facts not opinions , will a fass do the job yes ...however the air dog will do it better and longer and it will cost you less

You decide

Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

I see it's going to be one of "those" days....
Originally Posted by jrad989
you may not NEED one but they are a great investment for reliability.
Cummins doesn't have a legendary reliability reputation for running electric fuel pumps. That's a Johnny-come-Dodge/FASS/AirDog-lately thing. The early piston pumps are FAR more reliable and durable than any electric is or ever will be.
Originally Posted by Dude_57
I'm pretty sure that my lift pump is bad ...
I'm pretty sure you need to put a fuel pressure gauge on there and find out what's going on.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by 12workinprogress
I do not hear to many good things about air dog. FASS pumps are a little more money but you get what you pay for.
Thats BS - Airdog was the first to bring out the pumps with lifetime warranty, they take up less space, are cheaper, and have MUCH better customer service.

Quick Reply: Lift pump questions