12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

headliner fail

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default headliner fail

well my headliner started coming at the front behind the visors. so i decided i would try to recover it....heres how it went-

so 2 days later the spray adhesive that i used failed and the whole thing was sagging down ...but on the way home i spotted this outside a local hardware store priced for 50 bucks...

delta champion truck box

Old 06-21-2010, 10:10 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Good I can ask you now! How did you get the liner out of the truck? Sucks it didnt work btw it looked great! Did you take all of the old foam off? If not thats what screwed ya

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

it has to be easier to remove one of these headliners than removing one in a 2002 Dakota 4 door..... it is a 1 piece headliner..... it can be done, it just takes holding your tongue the right way....

and +1 on removing the foam. take a wire brush to it like one of the SS or Brass ones used in welding. don't get too aggressive with it but it'll take it off in no time. and remember to use the adhesive on the head liner backer board, AND on the fabric, let them both dry for a few minutes and then put them together, it won't feel sticky to you but the glue will stick to itself like no other.....

Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Rattler
Good I can ask you now! How did you get the liner out of the truck? Sucks it didnt work btw it looked great! Did you take all of the old foam off? If not thats what screwed ya
first- getting the headliner out was the easy part, you just lay the seats back all the way and put the steering wheel up and shimmy the front into the floor board and then out the passenger door but you have to flex the center upward just a tad.

second-i left the foam on. "supposedly" the foam gives the adhesive something better to grab ahold of but when the foam is so old that its just coming like dust then yes probably what screwed me. that and cheap adhesive.