12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

hard starts in the morning any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default hard starts in the morning any ideas?

alright so after my truck is started and everything it starts up perfectly fine, runs fine, etc. but after sitting for long periods of time, a day or two, overnight, etc, it becomes very hard to start, and i gotta crank it for 15 or 20 seconds for it to start. when it starts, it runs rough for about 3 seconds and then runs perfect. my fuel pressure is right at 35 psi regulated by the airdog II.

i know alot of people have this problem with old fuel lines and dieing lift pumps, but i have an electric fuel pump with brand new 1/2" fuel line. it never did this before with the VE pump it has only done it since the p pump swap, the only thing different at all is the very last fitting itself that threads into the pump for the fuel inlet and im pretty sure its on there really good.

is there anything like the delivery valves leaking back down or anything along those lines for me to check? or is air getting in the system the only thing it could be? any help is appreciated. thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

If you never replaced the return line I'd bet money on it allowing air into the fuel system.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Diesel Bomber

return line is also brand new sorry i forgot the clarify that. new metal line all the way down the frame rail with about a foot of brand new rubber hose to the tank and to the hard return line on the engine

also if i did have a leak, is there a way to find it if it isnt actually leaking fuel?

Last edited by tltruckparts; 06-15-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

All the fuel line clamps are tight? Check all of them.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds to me like an ofv (over flow valve)

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by 85_305
Sounds to me like an ofv (over flow valve)
overflow valve is BRAND NEW like a week old. ill check the hose clamps again in the morning

Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Perhaps it's a bad-new one?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by 85_305
Perhaps it's a bad-new one?
its a factory bosch one so i hope its good. one thing i have noticed tough is with the electric pump, with the key on and the engine off, i can hear a little pressure releasing from the ofv. is this normal? do any of the electric pump guys hear that too?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think, maybe you have a dead battery?

I had one of my batteries go dead.... and it was taking a good 5-10 seconds of cranking for it to start up (It was probably spinning too slow, although I couldn't tell by the sound.) And I would, sometimes, have to charge up the batteries, after it sat for 2-4 days due to the dead, battery music, of a starter. (that extremely slow, siren like, turn over, where you know it's not going to do anything, but you keep trying anyway, and shortly after get the click,click,click sound.) Plus, the charger, would never be able to get in a full charge. The fully charge light on it, would never turn on. Charge needle would never go past 50%, either...

I later, tried disconnecting the battery that I figured was dead (pretty sure the battery on the right side came with the truck, back in '94. It's a mopar battery, anyway... and I haven't replaced either battery since I bought the truck back, around '03). Put the truck back on the charger and it finally did take a full charge. And it's been starting up fine for the last three weeks. I still need to replace that other battery, though....

Also... I think if the pump drys up due to lack of sulfur with today's fuel that can cause rough idle and rough starts, too.

Last edited by Threesixty; 06-17-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Threesixty
Think, maybe you have a dead battery?

I had one of my batteries go dead.... and it was taking a good 5-10 seconds of cranking for it to start up (It was probably spinning too slow, although I couldn't tell by the sound.) And I would, sometimes, have to charge up the batteries, after it sat for 2-4 days due to the dead, battery music, of a starter. (that extremely slow, siren like, turn over, where you know it's not going to do anything, but you keep trying anyway, and shortly after get the click,click,click sound.) Plus, the charger, would never be able to get in a full charge. The fully charge light on it, would never turn on. Charge needle would never go past 50%, either...

I later, tried disconnecting the battery that I figured was dead (pretty sure the battery on the right side came with the truck, back in '94. It's a mopar battery, anyway... and I haven't replaced either battery since I bought the truck back, around '03). Put the truck back on the charger and it finally did take a full charge. And it's been starting up fine for the last three weeks. I still need to replace that other battery, though....

Also... I think if the pump drys up due to lack of sulfur with today's fuel that can cause rough idle and rough starts, too.
brand new rebuilt alternator putting out 180amps. 2 brand new 1000 cca batteries i know cranking isnt a problem. if i fire it right up and shut it down 2 seconds later, it fires back up immediately. battery isnt a problem always has just over 14 volts.

the pump also just got back from industrial injection and was benched and gone through i know its not a problem either.
i know i got some bleed back coming through with the fuel i just havent even had time to look for it as im still chasing down this mind boggling oil leak that im trying to find

Quick Reply: hard starts in the morning any ideas?