12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Blowby

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck dripped oil from the breather since day one it's a 98 12 valve. What happens is oil smoke condenses on the inside of the 7/8 inch dia. breather tube and when you park it it will drip one or two drops overnight, not much but it adds up. If it was uncommon Geno's Garage would not have been selling the tank to catch the oil. There are also many post's about this problem, some people just used a small plastic bottle held on with a zip tie and emptied it when there was an inch of oil in bottle. You don't see too many post's now days maybe the newer trucks don't have the same breather arrangement.
Ed

Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh gotcha I thought you were saying it was needing a drip pan because it was an excessive amount. But yes it's very normal for these motors.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

when i did my dyno it blew out of the blowby tube and made a foot around circle of oil. still made 466.1 hp so dont think the blowby hurt too bad

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

damn thats nuts. But if it works it works. Cant beat that

Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I never have figured out how Cummins got away with just running a tube out of the engine and nobody getting on there case for it.

I wouldn't worry about blow by unless you are buying a truck. If you already own it who cares. If it ain't consuming massive amounts of oil or low on power if your like me your not going to rebuild it for a little smoke out of the cap.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hey

hey guys will it help if i put little air filters on my valve covers

Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

dodgecummins12valve-ya can buy a kit that replaces one of the valve covers and allows it to vent really good, check with the sponsors, but i know for sure a place online called pure diesel performance carries them, or i just rigged up a tube from my oil filler cap and ran it to my intake

Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hop sing
THX the head was gone thru too,i thought i heard something about the turbo line causing back pressure to the crank case which cause blowby or somin like that anyone heard of that?thx again Hop Sing

i heard about the turbo causing excessive crankcase pressure. especially with twins, i spoke to hammer about this once, hed be the one to ask, maby he will chime in soon

Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MuchJunk
I never have figured out how Cummins got away with just running a tube out of the engine and nobody getting on there case for it.
CAT has been running a breather tube on their big motors basically in the same orientation as the Cummins. I don't think anyone needs to be on anyone's case about it, part of the deal you need some way for the motor to breath. It's also possible you could have a leak else where, and the oil is dripping off the breather tube because that's where it's being collected.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by cawhorses
CAT has been running a breather tube on their big motors basically in the same orientation as the Cummins. I don't think anyone needs to be on anyone's case about it, part of the deal you need some way for the motor to breath. It's also possible you could have a leak else where, and the oil is dripping off the breather tube because that's where it's being collected.
I don't really care that they run a breather tube. What I am saying is with how the E.P.A. is always on these small diesels it just surprises they don't make them do something else with it.