12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Auto Trans Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Upgrades?

I am wanting to either rebuild my transmission or get a new one to hold more power. My one now is stock and began to slip alittle bit. I have been looking at getting a new suncoast converter with a billet input shaft and new valve body and just rebuilding my existing one. About how much could it hold by just doing this? If i were to go this route what are the best converters available and good shafts and valve bodys? Or are there any suggestions on a new transmission that can hold up to 600 hp and is decently priced?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the auto i just took out of my truck had a bd low stall converter, valve body, shift kit, and a mag tec pan to cool er down a bit and they said it should hold to 500-550hp they were wrong....

Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i know if you run a dtt valve body and triple lock tc you should be good for around 500hp, you will need a billet flex plate for sure tho, the stock one is too light to hold a triple disk tc

96blackcloud how long did your tranny last you? i put three in my truck each only lasting around 1500miles, no one bothered to check it and find an electrical problem that was destroying my tc, i wired lock up and od on two seperate switches and now it has no problems and shifts great and shifts when and how i want it to

Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

oh man mine was in there for awhile but the truck sat for over two years stored on a barn, right around 100k it lasted with those parts in it, but it was a old man truck so it was not hot rod around

Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a new tc, valve boby, and flex plate should be good for a 500hp set-up? Should i go ahead and buy new input and output shafts? I really dont know if i should upgrade and get my stock tranny built or just buy a new one set up for my future plans?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

goerend all the way. Call dave, tell him what your looking to do and he can help you out.

There's two ways to go about getting a trans. One is to order a complete one and ship yours back as a core. The other option is to find a local builder of that brand's transmission (eg a local suncoast dealer) and they can put the aftermarket guts in yours. A lot of times this turns out cheaper and you have the ability to go back to your local guy if you have problems.

For a bulletproof 500hp setup your going to need the whole trans built. You can get away with a TC and valvebody for a lot of mods, but in the end, if you spend the $$$ on a completely built trans you won't have any problems in the future. The big names really stand behind their products too and if you do break it, it's not gonna be the money of another complete transmission to get it going again. It does cost money but from what I've seen its worth it.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

does anybody swap the bands and friction plates for the inside for better ones?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ya, yuo can buy hd ones or alto reds, for the friction plates. you can also buy thinner end steels(no sure on the exact name) that allow you to put one more clutch and steel in each set of clutches(did this on mine and it works great) this gives you more holding power in each gear you do it to, i think the #s are around 25% more clutches surface for each extra clutch yuo can cram in there. there are a few other things you can do to get even more clutches in a pack. as for the bands you can get hd cevlar ones that are cast all one piece, these are tons better than stock, one for the front and one for reverse. i would also go with new aluminum hd servos, these stop leakage and give you better, firmer, crisper, shifts and more convertor lock up pressure. add a shift kit and good tc and you will have a pretty good tranny

Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

for 600hp u gonna need billet input, billet int shafts, billet triple disk, vb, rebuild with good steels and clutches, around $5k. i am saving for mine now

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

o performance flex plate!

Last edited by monster12valve; 05-07-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

where can you get the kit to do the extra friction steel kit and where can you the cevlar bands?

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Upgrades?