12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Deffrence between Mechanical and Electrical Guages??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deffrence between Mechanical and Electrical Guages??

Im looking into getting guages right now and I can figure out if I want the mechanical ones or the electrical ones. Another question is do I need a full sweep one or short sleep one. This is the paige I'm looking at if you need to refrence it. Any help is appreciated.

Auto Meter GS Series Gauges - JEGS

Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

it all depends on how much money you want to spend. a mechanical fuel pressure gauge is like 50 bucks, and electronic one is about 200 bucks. but with that comes a safety feature. the advantage of electrical is you dont have fluids coming into your cab. what gauges are you getting and ill try and help you out with which ones

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a pyrometer,boost, and Tranny temp guage. I want the pyro fist, cause funds are kinda tight and I think thats prolly the most important one where as Im about to put in a GSK. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

pyro will run about 130-160 bucks depending which one. you will have to get an electric one for that thats all they make. trans temp i believe is short sweep electric theyre pretty cheap around 50 bucks or so and boost will be mechanical, its just air so it wont hurt if it comes in the cab

Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Mechanical are suppose to be a little more accurate than electrical.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my pyro is man. i took it out of a 91 pete

Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Almost all pyrometers use a signal probe, which transmits a milivolt signal back to the gauge. It is possible to get a transponder which will send a signal electronically to a remote-mounted gauge, but that gets expensive fairly quickly.

Boost, as already mentioned are mostly mechanical, but they too are available in electronic versions for more $$$.

Check on eBay. There were a bunch of close-out Bully Dog Pyros and other gauges over there. I bought my pyro for $59. It said "reconditoned" on the auction, but it was brand new in the box with all the parts included. The gauge is made by some regular manufacturer for Bully Dog -- they don't make gauges. Seems to be good quality and it works. I also got a boost gauge from the same source for $40.

For the temprature gauge, any temp gauge will work, just depends on what you want to see on the dial. I got a Sun Pro full sweep unit for $20. It would normally cost a lot more than that. It matches the Bully Dog gauges, black face & bezel, red needle, so I'm happy.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

With most electric guages, the pointer is attached to a stepper motor which gives very good accuracy.

Mechanical guages are just that - whats inside is called a Bourdon tube which is a curved tube attached to the pointer through some gears and links and levers.

If you want to read more - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_measurement

That being said - all Pyrometers (EGT guages) are electric. As already said, the thermocouple, which is mounted in the exhaust manifold sends an electric signal (milliVolts) to the guage. They older guages have just the wire, and the newer ones have an amplifier box which helps with measurement.

Boost guages are usually mechanical because they are much cheaper than the electric versions - but the electrics are out there.

If you are looking for the most bang for the buck look at Isspro EV 1's.