Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   When To Advance Timing (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/4669-when-advance-timing.html)

erik s 09-04-2007 05:58 PM

When To Advance Timing

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I have just started building my truck and you guys have helped me out big time so I have one more for you.

My question is whether or not I should advance my timing.

To review my mods. 10 plate in a 180hp pump at 1/8 back from full forward and my AFC near its stock location. I also have a 3GSK, and boost elbow cranked all the way in pushing about 28psi with a 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust system. I also cranked my star wheel all the way in.

The only issues I have had recently is that the truck is slow to start. Once in awhile it fails to start. It will start rev to 1000rmp then stall regardless of throttle possition. To me, who until very recently only had gassers, it seems like the timing is off. Can someone tell me if I am on the right track.

Also the truck smokes very little. I think it smoked more when it was stock. Even with the star screw cranked all the way in it doesn't smoke, whereas if I did this when it was stock, it would smoke like a freight train. Can someone explain this to me.

Thanks again for all the help

DangerousDuramax 09-04-2007 06:07 PM

Does it crank slow or normal in this condition?

DangerousDuramax 09-04-2007 06:12 PM

Eric, fill out your sig so we know what truck you have and what mods are done.

erik s 09-04-2007 06:21 PM

It cranks at the normal speed, it just seems like it takes longer to pop. Before you would barely have to turn the key and it would pop off. Now I need to crank it for 2-3 seconds before it pops and runs smooth. Sometimes, like I said it will pop and then stall even if i press the acelerator.

DangerousDuramax 09-04-2007 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by erik s (Post 52971)
It cranks at the normal speed, it just seems like it takes longer to pop. Before you would barely have to turn the key and it would pop off. Now I need to crank it for 2-3 seconds before it pops and runs smooth. Sometimes, like I said it will pop and then stall even if i press the acelerator.

Lets get some basics out of the way first. Do you have a fresh fuel filter and have you checked fuel pressure while cranking.

erik s 09-04-2007 06:37 PM

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge and I haven't changed the fuel filter since I bought it 4 months or 25,000 miles ago

DangerousDuramax 09-04-2007 06:40 PM

Start with changing the fuel filter. Get someone who has a gauge to help check your pressure. Does it run normal when driving even if it was hard to start?

erik s 09-04-2007 06:43 PM

Ya after it starts, it runs great other than that it doesn't smoke. I would think that with everything i've done it would smoke thats why I thought it could be the timing.

BuckNasty 12-07-2007 11:06 PM

I just had a situation with my 98 that is all stock. The starting was real hard but when started would run fine. I pulled my fuel filter and the thing was solid black and nasty. Changed it out in 15 mins and she was humming again also think I picked up 3-4 mpg's!

Monster Truck 12-08-2007 12:28 AM

I second fuel filter.