12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

need help for a 95 dodge ram 2500!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help for a 95 dodge ram 2500!

Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 97 dodge ram diesel b/c my pops has a 95. Ive been driving mine around a lot and has lots of power.
On my dads (95 dodge diesel) there seems to be a big problem. we put a nice and clean air filter, a boost elbow, cut out cat and muffler and put a 4" continuation w/ magnaflow. Sounds nice and strong when revving it, but when i put it in drive and floor it (when warm of course) it pulls good for a few minutes and then it dogs out! the power seems to be gone! i kill it and start it and here it comes back on, but same situation it dies out again.

Is it my fuel pump going out?
I was thinking of putting in a modified fuel plate?

Has anyone had this kind of problem?
We have taken it to a mechanic and he said that the turbo was leaking so he rebuilt it. it didn't really help. He also said that he turned up the star wheel on the pump. Not seeing the power gain though.
Also my pops carries and est weight of like 6-7000lbs on his truck all the time (materials)
thanks guys

Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

welcome to diesel bombers and you need to check your fuel pressure and you ofv your fuel pressure should be about 17psi at idle and running down the road about 30psi and heres some help with checking pressures brought to you by dr evil https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...ure-guage.html

Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

he also doesnt have as big a pump on his truck as you do yours

Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

i would check for a crimped line going to your afc. or see if the boots have any leaks or not tight. after that i woud check the governor springs to see if they have proper tension on them. if not those your fuel lines or the one in the tank could be sucking air or the screen in the tank is plugged with gunk. those are my thoughts!!!! i would start with the afc line.

The following users liked this post:
williamhuckeba (02-01-2010)
Old 01-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check the fuel pressure, the clamp on the line on the back of the afc housing is known to weaken, Also just for giggles make sure ur clamp on the hose going to ur air intake manifold is good and strong and that your getting proper turbo boost!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by williamhuckeba
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 97 dodge ram diesel b/c my pops has a 95. Ive been driving mine around a lot and has lots of power.
On my dads (95 dodge diesel) there seems to be a big problem. we put a nice and clean air filter, a boost elbow, cut out cat and muffler and put a 4" continuation w/ magnaflow. Sounds nice and strong when revving it, but when i put it in drive and floor it (when warm of course) it pulls good for a few minutes and then it dogs out! the power seems to be gone! i kill it and start it and here it comes back on, but same situation it dies out again.

Is it my fuel pump going out?
I was thinking of putting in a modified fuel plate?

Has anyone had this kind of problem?
We have taken it to a mechanic and he said that the turbo was leaking so he rebuilt it. it didn't really help. He also said that he turned up the star wheel on the pump. Not seeing the power gain though.
Also my pops carries and est weight of like 6-7000lbs on his truck all the time (materials)
thanks guys

It pulls good till 2200- 2400 rpm? That were the stock gov springs start to defuel, that prob what your feeling. Changing them is not that hard, you can buy a 3,000 rpm kit or a 4,000 rpm kit ( they make more than these two kits but for a street truck that is all you should need).

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Could be your injectors too. Mine had a similar problem before the #6 finally locked open and wrecked the engine in my 97.

They work fine when they're cold, but seem to "loosen up" when they get hot.

Its cheap to pop test them, not cheap to burn a motor down.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 AM

thanks all of you guys. ill check all of those things right away.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok, so i checked all the fuel lines and found no kinks. I can hear the turbo spooling but i'm not certain that im boosting. im buying a boost and fuel pressure gauge to make sure everything is working.
How do i check the injectors?
Also i moved the stock fuel plate all the way up and saw no gain.
Funny this is it revs up strong but when i put it gear i get no power. i kill it and start it and it runs "ok" not that good.

Last edited by williamhuckeba; 02-01-2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Default fixed it!

hey guys thanks for all the help! turns out fuel pressure and boost ok. the throtttle cable was stretched out. i put a clamp to make it longer and it hauls *** now. i also put in a fuel plate from DDP. all i gotta say is wow!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd be looking to replace the cable in the near future.......

Quick Reply: need help for a 95 dodge ram 2500!