12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

big oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default big oil leak

Hey my 97 2500 12v started leaking oil out of the front somewere and i cant find the leak. The belt started squeakin today really bad i opened the hood and the fan was blowin oil on the batterys it is so bad. I pressure washed the front of the motor so its all clean and i cant figure out were the leak is but its leakin bad. My brother is a diesel mechanic said that ther is a dowl or line up pin that falls out and breaks the housing. Can anyone help me out.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, there is dowel pin that in some cases falls out and can do some bad damage, it sounds like maybe it fell out and maybe put a whole in your timing cover or cracked it. so i guess what you need to do is check that cover. its on the front of the motor.

When the dowel pin falls, it can drop right to the oil pan or land in the gear housing, causing no damage at all.
On the other hand, the pin can be caught in the camshaft gear and forced into the aluminum gear housing, breaking out a big chunk of the housing which would cause a huge oil leak.
Worst-case failure is when the dowel pin goes between the cam and crank gears, or cam and injection pump gears, breaking the gear off the camshaft. The camshaft stops rotating instantly causing valves to stop operating, leaving some valves open and some closed. The crankshaft continues to rotate for a few seconds, slamming pistons into valves, and possibly ruining block, crank, rods, cylinder head, and valve train. Almost no reusable parts in this case, a complete engine swap could be required.

thats what i have learned, hopefully the second option didnt happen but it kinda sounds like it did.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

that sucks!!!!!! i bet that is what happened. on the bright side of things your engine is not toast.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I cleaned it more and found some oil under the water pump and by the fan bracket that bolts to the block. does that sound right can i smear some JB weld on the crack if thats were it is.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

inspect the whole cover. with the sounds of that much oil there should be a hole somewhere. you can try that to get you by for awhile. but it is putting a band aide on a broken bone. i have seen guys run it for a year with jb weld on it. but they really put alot of jb weld on it. i would personally pull it apart and see if there is any gear damage.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

same happened on my truck. before i owned it. nothing jb weld and rtv couldnt fix. mines going strong on several years now.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Diesel Fan

Pull that apart and fix it right, when JB fails and dumps your oil all down the highway, you'll toast your motor.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

x2 fix it right the first time. if all you need is a cover your in good shape.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That suxx butt i agree screw the jb weld fix it right man and hey could u come help me with my tranny porblem

Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I have to pull the cam to get that cover off.

Quick Reply: big oil leak