12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

New FASS system- No pressure ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New FASS system- No pressure ??

I spent the day Thursday meticulously installing a new fass system on my truck. I did the pump only and used a different filter bracket than the fass. I used all Parker store push lock fittings, copper line for the pressure gauge. I installed everything hit the key, it primed right up and held a solid 45psi. I went to work yesterday (my job requires me to drive this truck all day long) and when a got out of the grocery store last night I hit the key, got my pressure, then it just started dropping like it had no fuel. I could hear the pump running, but no pressure. I check under the truck and no leaks. I finally got it to run, but still no pressure. Took it to my friends house and we double checked EVERYTHING.

We pulled the line from the suction tube and stuck it in a can of fuel- nothing.
Blew air back into tank through the suction line, it was not blocked
Checked the return line spring in pump, looked new

Here's the kicker- we installed another new pump and same results

I finally got pressure by blowing air into the tank, it picked up prime and off it went. I'm going to drive around today and see what happens, also I'm going to switch back to my other pump.

What gives?? For the life of me I can't figure out what would cause this. I do have a full tank of fuel and this pump worked all day long. After my install I had appx 7 gallons of fuel in the tank, and now its full. Return line is clear.

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks guys!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

Is the suction line you are using rated for suction. If not, it could be collapsing on itself while the pump is running, even if you don't see it. Just a thought.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the line that came with the fass system, I would assume so.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

u got trash in the tank sounds like

Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad to see you made it here Paul......I am wondering if you had air in the filters. When I change my filters I have to leave the fuel filter cracked open and turn on the pump until fuel come out of the filter and then tighten it back up and she's good to go. Another thing is if the tank is low that stupid and you stop short that fuel runs away from that damn draw straw and you'll lose pressure. It will come back up but the draw straws SUCK. I want to put a Hellman Sump in my tank to fix it.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

I vote air in the filters, Crack them open and It'll prime back. The new high flow modules will work for all these trucks, but you'll have to run the return line to a draw straw in the module instead of in the filler hose!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Diesel Wrench

Will that stop the problem of the draw straw sucking air at a 1/4 tank and under?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Sure will!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Diesel Wrench

I assume that is the new Draw Straw I correct? DO you have them in stock? I am sick of that pressure drop around a 1/4 tank that I get with the FASS suction tube. PM me a price if you would. Sorry for jacking your post Paul....

Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

I'll PM ya a price when I get to the shop. I'm at a buddies house right now.

Quick Reply: New FASS system- No pressure ??