12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

confused NOOB

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused NOOB

wow there is so much information my head is about to explode..............i come home ans sit in front of the computer pouring over these threads and im getting more and more confused, if someone could take a few minutes and get me up to speed on a few things...............im a reasonable wrench turner but not apro by any means and i understand basic mechanics and concepts

i recently bought a 94 3500 12v dually,she's pretty solid with 124,000 on the clock

rebuilt trans about 20k ago, to what level i have no idea

different turbo [schwitzer] size ? i have no idea how to check

supposedly bigger injectors, agian, how can i verify this?

i put a K&N cold air intake on her and im about to do a custom built rectangular singlestack with an annoying flapper,

id like to get as much power out of her without detonating anything, not a racer, sled puller or anything like that,i do pull 10-12k trailers and plow snow

whats an airdog?

when do i have to think about head bolt upgrades?

how much boost is stock and how much can i put to her safely?

can i put a blowoff valve in place of the turbo elbow

what does "getting the turbo to lite" mean?

how do i know if i have a modded fuel plate? i'd hate to spend money on something already done

and finally,any basic beginner mods would be greatly appreciated

sorry for so many questions all at once

thanks guys, Boss

Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

wow where to start and anybody out there chime in if you want to.1 airdog is an upgrade to the fuel ststem 2headbolt upgrade doesnt usually happen until your turbo or turbos are pumping up around 40 pds of boost and 3 stock boost is around 18 to 22 pds of boost 4 blowoff valve confuses me 5 getting the turbo to lite is like kicking in the 4 barrels except diesel terminology pour the coal to it is another one in diesel terminology or girlfriend terminology on a saturday night your modded fuel plate or inj upgrade will have to gotten by you maybe you can find name or numbers on them and finally go to top of page to where search is and put 94 12 valve cummins mods and just start looking plenty to choose from and most just takes your time and effort good luck and hope your confusion was cleared up a little bit and one word of advice quit banging your head on the wall idont care how hard your head is thats gonna leave amark

Old 12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

whats an airdog?.. upgraded fuel system for use with multiple fueling upgrades.

when do i have to think about head bolt upgrades? over 40psi of boost.. around 425hp to be safe. or when you add a bunch of timing.

how much boost is stock and how much can i put to her safely? stock turbo 18psi on my truck. stock turbo is capable of 35psi.

can i put a blowoff valve in place of the turbo elbow? No

what does "getting the turbo to lite" mean?.when you get a turbo to start building boost.

how do i know if i have a modded fuel plate? pull it out and look at the profile there is diff profiles diagram floating around here somwere.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

a blow off valve releases excess turbo boost when you let off the throttle stopping the excess boost from surging the turbo... a boost elbow is what the wastegate gets its signal to cut off boost from. a performance boost elbow lets less are through it keeping the wastegate closed longer giving you more boost.

Last edited by monster12valve; 12-03-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay....there is a ton of info in the forum under the Stickie threads this one will take you a while but is one of the best:

https://www.dieselbombers.com/genera...ronomicon.html

There is a ton of info in here and in the links provided:

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-1...-12-valve.html

Old 12-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Diesel Fan

thank you soooooooo much gentlemen - - -keep dumpin tips and info on me and ill soak it up like a sponge

how do you determine when your turbo is lighting? mine seemsto be spooled up in the 2000-2200 rpm range...............i dont have gauges yet and i know thats really a handicap

is there a way to get my turbo to spool up faster???

heading to the links you posted Duster................................

Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Diesel Wrench

Porting the manifold and head and a cam can help make it spool faster. Basically anyway to get the exhaust OUT of the engine faster will aid in spool up. A BOV (Blow off valve) is different than a wastegate. A BOV is mostly used on gas engines because they have throttle blades to close off the air to the engine. They NEED the BOV because the turbo is pressurizing the system and if you let off the throttle the pressue needs to go some where or it backs up and causes "Turbo Bark" where the pressure tries to stop the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel is still being driven by the exhaust.....A wastegate is on the exhuast side and it bleeds off pressure on that side. of the system so you don't over speed the turbo if I and explaining it correctly. You can check your Fuel plate by taking it out and looking at it or snapping a pic and posting it. No need to buy one when you can grind your stock one for free.

The following users liked this post:
ArizonaRedneck (12-04-2009)
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Default pics of rig

ok i got some pics today..............maybe they will help you in guiding me in all my questions

i was reading on the plate mod and i dont see the screw that needs to be "chiseled" off - - can i assume someone has already been in the pump for some reason or another

here's the pics - -now you can ask me questions ...........

Attached Thumbnails confused NOOB-3500-003-12-small-.jpg   confused NOOB-3500-003-20-small-.jpg   confused NOOB-3500-003-16-small-.jpg   confused NOOB-3500-003-small-.jpg   confused NOOB-3500-003-15-small-.jpg  

confused NOOB-3500-003-8-small-small-.jpg  
Old 12-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Diesel Wrench

Yeah some one's been in the AFC....no biggie...I'd pull if and post a pic of the plate. We'll be able to tell you which one you got. As for the turbo is there any casting number you can see on it?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

S300 looks like a 14cm turbine. You need gauges, Pyro trans boost.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Diesel Fan

it says borg warner on it and there are part# and mod # on it but my old *** eyes can't make em out - - ill stuff my hot tiny wife in there tomorrow and have her read em off tome.........hahahahaha gotta love a tiny chick

a good friend of mine has 3 autometer white face liquid filled trans, pyro and boost with all the send gear but his triple post mount is for a newer dodge so we'll have to mount em up somehow - -i think i can get em for 300 bucks.........sound fair? [they're new in the box never installed

also where do i need to put the pyro sensor ? in the manifold, in the down tube etc etc?

Quick Reply: confused NOOB