12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Tranny Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the fuel plate is pretty easy, you can get a new one or grind your own. you could even just slide yours if your looking for a small gain. i would recomend going with no plate but make sure you have torque converter and valvebody to hold it. the timing is best done by someone who knows what they are doing, but if you are a pretty decent mechanic its not that hard. a boost elbow is used to fool the wastegate to get more boost out of you turbo. its a basic install and the you just play around with it till you get where you want it. if you ask some of the other guys they can give you step by step instructions wit pics. the guys on this site will take care of ya

Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet...........

can i assume messing with the fuelplate, either modding it or removeing it will affect mileage? or does it just use the fuel to its full capabilities?

ill look into the boost elbow for sure - - i think i saw a pic on the site of one, is it on the right side of the motor going over the injector pump?

it sounds like gauges are definatley in order but more importantly getting this tranny solid - - - i dont want to put stock parts back into the truck if i don't have to and im haveing a hard time finding a good tranny or converter and what i have found are thousands of dollars.
if im gonna have to spend that kind of money can i put a 6 speed manual in her or better yet find an Allison trans somewhere? theres got to be a better option than a beefed up 1960's tourque flight ..............no?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea there is always the option of a manual tranny, i would say go for it. good clutch and tranny and youll never have to worry about it again. now as for the fuel plate it depends on how you do it. as long as you keep enough air to lean it out youll get great milage but if you jus blow a bunch of smoke it wont help milage. and the reason we say gauges first is because if you dont know how the motor is reacting to all the mods its real easy to mess up something. with my truck im running a stock turbo with no plate and i used the afc to tune it out and i was getting pretty damn good milage, much better than stock, and a whole lot more power. let me warn you though, once you start modding youll catch the bug and enough is never enough.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

(once you start modding youll catch the bug and enough is never enough.)

Soooo true

Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Diesel Fan

oh im very well aware of the moding bug..............its a love hate relationship for sure. i come from a very bad sports car habit 80's and early 90's liquid cooled Porsche's are my weekness................a very nasty divorce cured me of that though....

so now im fat and happy with my high school sweetheart and any moding i do has to be functional {never could get a 928S4 to push much snow} but i can totally see the need for 6 or 700 horses to get the lawn mower hauled down the road bwah hahahahahaha hence my concern for this tranny,

jeesh if im reading right info from the forums and websites im looking at 4-5000 bucks to do a built up billet shaft trans and a good triple disk TC ? does that sound about right? thats what i paid for the truck ...........dam and thats before i touch the pump or turbo

i built a full autocross 944 SM2 for 4500.....................

Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Goerend for the converter....lifetime warranty.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusterb318
TPS switch = Throttle Position sensor

TPS testing and adjustment
was going to say the same thing

Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

you dont have to spend money on the pump. you can do most all of the modding for free. as for the tranny it would be cheaper and more dependable to swap it to a manual. more fun too

Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

A built auto is just as nice if not better when you get a good VB. As for the TPS you can get around it as well with a POT mounted in the cab.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Diesel Fan

POT in the cab ? lasttimei had pot in the cab i got in trouble ......lmao...........wrong pipes,wrong smoke..hehehe

i talked to the guy i bought it fromtoday and he says it's rebuilt - the company supossedly had it done heavy duty, it had a 12 foot flat dump on it..........the turbo is a schwitzer, again suposedly bigger injectors as well......i wouldn't know if you hit me in the face with a stock one or an aftermarket one

i can say that i was under it today running some cables for lights and the sander and the trans is definatley a lot cleaner than the rest of the drivetrain so i would say it has been out - - now whats in it i dont know...........any things i should look for ????? - - id love a manual but when you plow for 20 hours straight that clutch can get brutal

12 valve - - what sort of free mods could i do to the ol girl

p.s. anybody got a set of gauges they wanna part with?????

thanks guys,i can't wait till i can contribute - - in a few years,

Quick Reply: Tranny Issues