12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12v Stalled and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Stalled and won't start

Greetings,

I have a '96 ram with 188k that I've had no problems with for the past few years of ownership. Slowly over the past month I've started modifying it (prior nothing had been done to the motor). I first bought gauges, BHAF, 5" exhaust and finally last night put in a #100 fuel plate. The truck started fine, ran about a mile and as my foot got a bit heavy sputtered and died. No matter what I do it won't start. Fuel pressure looks "normal" fuel shut off solenoid works, and no new leaks or strange puddles under the truck. For the life of me I can't figure out whats wrong. Also it looks to be pouring vaporized fuel out of the exhaust. I unplugged the fuel solenoid and it cleared up so it seems I can say its getting fuel in the cylinders that's not burning, just getting pushing out through the exhaust... This doesn't make sense from what I know of diesels. Any help is really appreciated!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

first and formost welcome to diesel bombers well you said you you unplugged the fuel shutoff and it ran better more info fill out you sig so i can help you better diagnose the truck

Old 10-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

My apology for being confusing. When my truck died and I tried to start it there was a lot of vaporized fuel coming out of the exhaust. I unplugged the solenoid to see if it would blow out any excess fuel by turning over the motor - which it seemed to do. My thought was that it seemed like the truck was flooded (again I know that doesn't happen with diesel engines but was a bit desperate) With the solenoid plugged in and working or not the truck has never started again since it originally died.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

have you given it a little of the go pedal when cranking it? and if so does it start then?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM

I've tried giving it about 1/2 throttle while cranking, full throttle while cranking and also pumping the gas while cranking it just keeps turning over but no fire. It doesn't even start to catch.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

did you try bleeding the lines?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM

No I haven't tried bleeding the lines. I'll try that tonight. Is there something I could have done when installing the fuel plate to get air in the system? It did originally run right after I installed it like normal at idle for 10 min, then down a 1/2 mile driveway. About 1/4 mile off the driveway on the highway is when it died and hasn't come back since. Thanks again for your help!!

Old 10-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bud i just had the same problem with mine. take off your fuel filter amd make sure the filter is full of fuel,and if you havent already done it go ahead and put a new wix fuel filter on it. after filling the new filter up with diesel, put it back on. loosen the injector fuel lines on the cylinder head enough to turn them with your finger, it will probably be a 19mm wrench, after all the injector lines are loose, prime it about 10 to 15 times and have someone turn the motor over while you watch the injectors , when fuel starts coming out, star tightening them.it should fire up after you got about 3 or 4 injectors tightened, if it does keep it running, if it stalls you will have to do it all over again, but once you have it running then loosen one injector at a time and let it bleed, you may have to do it a few times. it took me 4 times and about 3 and a half hours to get mine done and mine was caused by a small pin hole in a fuel line that made it bleed back when i shut off the motor.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks Casper I'll give that a try! How did you end up finding the pin hole in your fuel line?

Old 10-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have not yet but im looking im sure its one of the hard ones to get to cause it leaks off the bottom of the bell housing

Last edited by casper83; 10-23-2009 at 05:01 PM.