12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

How to bleed at injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to bleed at injectors

Hey all I have read several posts on the site that have helped me thru several issues. I recently replaced the fuel filter and my truck started then died after several minutes and hasnt stayed running since. I cleaned the pre-filter screen and reinstalled it. still no joy. when i crack the bleed bolt on the banjo assemply and press the primer a few times I get an extreme amount or bubbles. dont know if it is entering when i work the primer button or if it is entering the system somewhere else. I have taken the filter off and reintalled making sure everything is seated properly. My question to you is how do i bleed the system at the injectors. do i loosen the big nut or is there something else i need to do?

thx in advance

Old 10-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

First you need to see why your getting air in the system first. You said there where bubbles coming out of the bledder screw. If it doesnt get to cold where your at. the best thing to do is bypass the fuel heater. I had a problem actually sounds like the same thing your having problems with. bypass the fuel heater. see if that fixes your problem. Oh yeah you dont bleed the injector you just loosen the injector lines not much though, When it starts spraying fuel real good tighten them down and you should be good to go. The fuel heater doesnt heat that much fuel anyways.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

HOW DO YOU BY PASS THE FUEL HEATER? i live in az so it doesnt get to cold here how i do it and wat does it help?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

There is a kit out there dont by it though. I went to oriellys and bought a piece that would screw into my lift pump with a nipple on it, and just ran my fuel line to it. thats all you have to do. It cost me like $5.00

Old 10-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Diesel Fan

it gets sub zero here, so maybe shouldnt bypass the pre-heater. I am thinking either my fuel preheater needs a gasket replacement for the pre-filter housing...may be leaking there, or that i am sucking air thru the primer button on the lift pump. but as u know i could be sucking air from several places on the way back to the tank.
Does anyone know where i can get a gasket for pre-filter screen housing on the fuel pre heater?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

what are the gains from doin that to the fuel heater?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jerroh, I'd try chrysler or cummins

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you probably got air in your main line going to your injection pump. I had the same thing happen air locked my truck. I highly doubt your fuel heater is the source of the problem. Did you bleed all the air out properly when you changed your fuel filter? The problem I run into with mine is that when you replace the filter and tighten everything up it only takes like 4 or 5 pumps on the primer button to fill it till it bleeds out the top. This isnt correct it only filled the center of the filter not around it. The way i avoid that issuse now is tighting the filter canister nut all the way down, then backing it off a few turns till it breaks seal then pumping the primer button till fuel leaks out the side. Then I tighten the nut down and crack open the bleed screw, bleed the rest of the air out, after that i fire my truck up. Since it sounds like yours is air locked. Disconnect the fuel shut off solenoid, crack open your injectors and crank the engine til fuel starts to come out, then tighten the nuts. Its easier with two people. Your truck will run rough til gets the remaining air out of the lines, but that shouldnt take long, you might have to put light pressure on the pedal to keep it running.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerroh
Does anyone know where i can get a gasket for pre-filter screen housing on the fuel pre heater?
Cummins has them.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Diesel Fan

i pump and pump the primer button and it never seems to get hard to pump...it ran like crap for about 10 seconds with my foot almost to the floor. I have nerve damage and bad arthritis in my left hand and no pain killers so dont know how much longer i can work on it. im not sure if i losen the big nut above the injectors or those little bolts that run to the side of the injectors. but if it ran then shouldnt it have self bled?

Quick Reply: How to bleed at injectors