12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

modifying my 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default modifying my 12 valve

hola fellow 2nd gens, i have got a 94 model single cab white manual trans 4x4 lwb w/ flatbed. It almost has 300k on it and still in good shape. I use it sparingly now when i want to pull something or just to enjoy driving it. I figured while i had the chance and another vehicle that now would be a good time to start the modifications i have always planned on. my question for you folks is wat all should i do. Lets IMAGINE that funds are not an issue and we are going to trick this baby out. Primary target use is good strong pulling vehicle. and when i am not pulling a trailer i want to kick the $%^& out of anyone who wants to challenge me. see what you boys come up with. i dreamed of going all ats or all bd power or all banks, but lets face it, i like some of the products better from diferent places. yo guys shoot me with you thinks works the best in every aspect of creating more power and reliability.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM
N.M. Bombers Director
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

well first off what kind of power numbers are you looking at? you can go modest and still be fast as hell or you can go all out... But I'd start with a good dual disc from southbend, alot of people like the 0 or 100 fuel plate which is a freebe bomb. But get yourself a boost pyrometer and fuel pressure gauge before turning up the fuel, nothing like a melted piston or messed up injection pump to screw up your plans... A good cold air intake, I'm running a AFE stage 2 with the dry filter and it does the job, with a 4 or 5 inch exhaust, straight piped acourse for that awesome cummins sound At this point headstuds will allow you to go out and get a nice turbo, or a set of twins. Twins would be a good idea because these trucks can get pretty smokey especially once you get over 500hp. A 4k governor spring with 60lb valve springs. A FASS pump or AirDog is a easy upgrade and it'll save you the agony if your stock lift pump goes out. Once again, how much are you hauling and hp numbers come into play with injectors, the bigger you go the harder, the harder it becomes to pull because of increased EGTs, but thats where twins would come in handy again... Then I'd finish it off with a 13mm injection pump and a nice intercooler...

I know theirs more out there but others will chime in...

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

id tear the engine down and rebuild it these engines start getting blowby around 200,000 then this is what id do
balanced
studs
orings
cam
ported head
valve springs
pdi exhaust manifold
4k gsk
191s
no plate
tuned afc
5x0.014s
air dog II
S300 with 14cm non gated housing over an S400 with an external wastegate
5in exhaust
3600lb DD
1 3/8ths input
fifth gear
traction bars
drive press
primary boost
manifold press
pyro
water injection
there may be a few nick nacks i missed in there

Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a question similar to his. i have a 95 12v auto and i have plans on turning it in to a pulling truck when i get home from iraq next year. i am trying to get the most out of it for as little $ as possable. i know every thing that i want to do to it but i am not sure what all i can buy or do to get the most out of my pump with out buying one? it already has a 0 plate 191dv and a 3000gsk. i was thinking of getting LC dv and a 5000gsk what else can i do and how do i do it myself? i would like to be able to drive it on the road still and be in the 2.6 class. thanks SPC Scott

Last edited by scottie; 10-14-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know that much about how much horsepower o want it to have, i know that i would like to be able to pull a good gooseneck load of hay up a decent grade and still be ab le to pass the **** out of a 6liter ford pulling the same thing. I am kind of on the same page with 12 valve tater there on taking the engine out and doing a little bit of work to it. rebuilding it and possibly getting some of the things he was talking about. tater sounds like he knows exaclty what he wants. although i must not be on the uppety up on some of the terms he used cuase i kinda lost about half way through. My plans are kind of a complete truck makeover, and i am tlaking new suspension, new wheels, new bed, the dash needs some attention, and maybe some new seats. but i want to get the power out of this beast first before i start on the cosmetics. once i kinda get the power lined out then i will take care of everytihing else. thanks for the opinions and keep the coming. i am imagining the ultimate pulling vehicle here, that has the power it needs to win stoplight to stoplight also.